• Cherry Summer

Wow, I never thought that student grade and artest grade could be so diffrent! I was wondering does this apply for watercolours too?

• Blick Art Materials

@Cherrysuumer1232 Yes – it applies to watercolor, oil, acrylic and other paints.

• Cherry Summer

thanks!

• Rather Dashing

Were you using Titanium White or a Zinc Mixing White to test the quality?

• Wahn Sinn

haha the first sentence she says you can read in the description. Exactlx the same 😀
    But thanks for video 🙂

• Tony Kalemba

exactly what I thought as well!

• AlphaPhoenicis

Then, why buy a full set? get blue, yellow, red, white and black. that's all you need to get a variety of colors 😀 maybe it takes a little of time, but i think it's a little bit more economical than buying 12 or 24 colors of which half you'll not even take out the tube 😉 (not counting watercolor of course.)

• claystudiofx

cool, my question is do i really need artist quality for black and white ? there's no color pigment on them (they're considered as neutral). So i think that will be fine to use white/black (neutral) of student quality to mix with other artist grade. Am i correct ? They're just to lighten/darken the color, so i can add more if i need more white/black.

• Blick Art Materials

As with the other colors, black and white in student and artist quality will differ somewhat with regard to pigment load, texture and how they mix. But definitely do some testing to see if these differences are acceptable for your painting.

• Paul Pellicci

thanks…

• Matt Hofstadt

Yea, more burnt sienna mixed with less white paint. Although, I wonder if more white paint actually had impact on the student grade blend greying out?

• Ozterkvlt

using liquitex basics paints and the yellow wont cover anything thats even a bit dark, would this be fixed with artist quality paints?

• Paloma Monteleone

How about the subject archival quality. Let's say I buy student grade and change my methods limiting the use of whites as not to dilute the colors. Will the student paints fade over the years?

• a Winter's Tale

My specific application is used by modelers, which is the use of highly thinned oil paints applied to the nooks and crannies of plastic model tanks, vehicles, etc., to achieve a "weathered" effect. I notice that with my very inexpensive oil paint (black), the results on the model is tiny but distinct particles of pigment, which might indicate the cheap nature of my oil paints. Is this true, and will higher quality paints show less of this individual particle look by laying down tinier particles when thinned with odorless thinner? I hope I am making my inquiry clear. Thank you.

• Foxy0Floof

so what store do you buy good paint like that at I would like to know

• beneath.the.roses Lucid Dream Journal

what a huge difference when mixed with white. what brand of professional grade paint do you recommend?

• Nontas Priobolos

what is the difference between the two grades of paint in terms of longevity if they both have lightfastness rating of 1?

• Gediminas

There are several factors influencing paint color intensity and coating power. Probably most important factor is pigment refractive index, as for example synthetic pigments such as azo yellow has much less opacity than cadmium pigments. Also choice of binder, pigment size and purity have influence.

• Roman Horak

Thank you! This is the most concise and helpful explanation on this subject.

• Viviane B

Is it safe to use a cheaper paint for the under painting and the expensive brand on top? I mean, will the cheap brand underneath peel off or change and damage the whole piece and not be archival?

• Astro

As of now, all I have are the $5.00 paint bottles (like what they have at primary school art classes), and just by looking at the more expensive paint, you can tell how much smoother it must be to paint with.

• Calter Bro's

can i have some help, if i want a set of say 16 paints which will last a good 20 painting and are good quality what should i get? please help, i need to know prices

• jachob69

how about the fact there was about twice as much of the burnt sienna for the expensive paint.. unfair comparison really.