Background Removal with Fine Detail in PaintShop Pro X6

Welcome to this video on removing the background of a photo with Fine Detail in PaintShop Pro. We will go over some of the various tools you can use in order to do a clean background removal from a photo and then paste your subject on to a different photo making, it look as realistic as possible. First, open PaintShop Pro and launch the Edit Workspace. Next, open the photo that you’ll be working with. In this example, I have a photo of a family and I want to remove the background. From the Layers palette, right click on the thumbnail and select Promote Background Layer. This will make it possible to have a
transparent background. Since this photo was taken in the woods, the background is very complex. So rather than starting with the background eraser tool, I will be using an alternative method. From the Selection tools, choose the Smart Selection tool. Next, set the mode to Add. Carefully click and drag the brush over the parts of the image that you want to keep. You can also resize the brush so that it fits better in smaller areas. When you have finished selecting the subjects completely, go to the selections menu and choose invert selection. What this will do is select the background around the subjects of the photo. If you notice that the selection
has moved inside the subjects at all, you can remove those areas by choosing the Freehand Selection tool, setting the mode to Remove, and then carefully outlining and removing those areas from the selection. Now from the Selections menu, choose Modify and then Feather. in this example, I’ll increase the feather so that the selection overlaps the subjects in this photo. When the background is deleted, the edges will appear smooth and free of any outline. Next hit the Delete key on the keyboard to remove the selected background. Use the key combination Ctrl+A on your keyboard to select the entire image, and then Ctrl+C to copy. Now you can open up a picture that you want to use as the background. From the edit menu, select ‘Paste As New Layer’ and the image of your subjects will appear over the background. Now you can resize them as need be. You may need to zoom out and resize the subjects on this layer so that they match the background image. Next, I’m going to crop the image. If the lighting on the subject does not match the lighting in the scene, you can try applying a filter to both layers. To do this, open the Effects menu, choose
‘Photo Effects’, and then ‘Film and Filters’. You might need to apply multiple filters to get the effect that you want. Since every project is different, you might have to play around with these settings to get the look that you want. When the project is complete, go to File, Save As… and select PSP Image as the file type. This way if you wish to make changes of a later time, your layers will remain intact. Next, save a version that’s suitable for emailing or uploading to Facebook. To do this go back to File, Save As… and select JPEG. When saving a multi-layer file is a JPEG you’ll get a warning message, and this is because a JPEG can only contain a single layer. Click Yes to this message to continue. Thank you for watching this video on Background Removal with Fine Detail in Corel PaintShop Pro.

• P

Kinda looks fake :/
    Try changing the colors 🙂

• KangkaT

Thanks, your tutorials make my life a whole lot easier!

• Guyon56

OK for a quick scrap book pic, but this technique for background removal is very primitive.  The author even missed part of the girls headband on the side.
    For a more professional approach I suggest you look in to Masks or Channels.

• Eden Audio

Poor blokes lost his legs.

• Cappy Vapes

It does not work for me at all ! I start the process & just that quick , it goes right to the outer edge of the total pic every time ! & it happens with every tool in that list . Try the background eraser & it leaves behind dark marks that just will not come off . I am very disjointed with paintshop x7  Seems to be more hype than fact.

• AirTech

where is the leg of the boy?

• -N1Nt3ND0- -

идите нахер

• helen wai

Thanks for sharing the techniques on a fake photo. I hope you know that the man and lady has one leg missing. The original photo was created with the family pasted on a forest background so it is easier for you to show how to remove it again. In real life, it is much harder to remove the family from a photo.

• DG Custom Tshirts & Photo Gifts

thats a green screen photo that's why its so easy to remove. who stands in a forest like that and the lighting is showing off the people

• ZepG

He must have lost his leg in the war.

• Khizar Khan

Asia jt

• ski alot

ok i m going stir crazy here i can't seem to cut out just the area i want with out the whole damage image ending up in the cut…..Grrrrrrrrrrr

• Racheal Johnson

she talks to fast, and it looks really fake….

• Jesica Patton

Help! I've done each step but I'm at the point where she says hit the delete key on your keyboard & the background will disappear…..mine isn't deleting!!!

• linda1986r

I have paint shop pro 9. please help.

• Chris OBrien

It sounds like most of you like myself, have been going around in circles, every time I pasted a new layer it simply covered the background, I was trying to add to. Then after reading and re reading the learning centre notes, I discovered that if you click on the image before copying, when you paste as a new layer You can resize the image…… Ta Daaaa Result I hope this will save more people pulling their hair out

• demaster619

This is NOT a good method to use. The old background Remover was much easier to use. This so-called smart remover grabs a lot of objects I don't want removed and it doesn't crab the ones I want removed. Corel keeps making this software WORSE and WORSE!!!

• Yuri

Thank you!

• maralson

Hi, I can get it to work up to the point of importing new background I get this up and all's fine then when i paste new layer my image that I have removed is enlarged and I cant get it small enough to fit the back ground? ( I can't reduce its size at all?) also I need to know how to add multiple images to one back ground ( also all these images have to be removed from there own back grounds first?

• Yongliang Shen

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 SELL FOR $50 IF YOU WANT IT , CONTACT WITH ME,I CAN HELP WITH YOU!

• Chris OBrien

Before selection click on the pick tool (that's the arrow at the top of the list of tool's) then when you click on the image a do copy paste, the selection reappears in a resizable and position able box, I hope that this helps. Chris

• Djard

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. Only one shortcoming: you forgot to mention how you resized the subject in the new background. What did you click on before scrolling the mouse to resize the subject?

• Djard

I follow the steps exactly; but when I hover the mouse over the lower right corner of the subject layer, the cursor turns into either a Maltese cross (lets me resize only the right side only) or a curved double-ended arrow (lets me rotate the subject). I can zoom out and drag the Pick Tool frame outside the background image, but resizing the subject without distorting the subject with the Pick Tool is not possible in my version of PSP (X8). What am I overlooking?

• Tony Beigle

"Resizing a layer "as need be"…could you go step by step into resizing the newly pasted layer, onto the background? Thanks….

• michael stephanos

just use Photoshop select IMG and re fine button and then add a drop down shadow which she forgot ( if pro do all the work in a mask clipped to copy of IMG )

• Johnny Arnaud

Why didnt they use layer masking like Photoshop?

• Pam Martin

Hiya, I was wondering if you could help, I have been PSP for a while. I have in the past been able to paint out or white out the back ground and than copy and paste as a transparent section and there would no be a background but now as of today it's not letting me do that anymore an it keeps leaveing the white background. I have seen the videos of how to use the background eraser etc but I really want to know if I somehow changed something in the settings that mades it not do what I had been abe to do in te past. ANy ideas. Thank you

• CHRISTWARD

This is fine as far as it goes but I really want to be able to use Paintshop Pro and be able to get any fine hairs captured and have any background picture or colour removed as well. Anyone able to help?

• Leandro Lopes

I really wished more from a pro software.