Fashion Illustration – Style Exploration | Watercolour Pencils

nice I am back with a new video and this
is going to be another video for my style exploration
series this time I will be exploring watercolor
pencils sup let’s get started I’ve never actually come across a fashion illustration done in
watercolor pencil so finding an artistic inspiration was
hard I ended up looking through our works
that or not fashion illustrations but they were still done with watercolor
pencils or at least that’s what it said on the
description and I used to not like the pencil marks
that would still be visible even when you didn’t
lay down the water to blend the pencil together to create the watercolor effect however when I saw some the artworks when I went and searched up for
watercolor pencil art I actually really like the effect had
and I wanted to use that technique in my own fashion illustration and see
if I would end up changing my mind and liking it I also found in some
fashion illustrations done with watercolors and pencils not
necessarily watercolor pencils but it gave of the
same effect as the other artworks I’ve seen so far
so I took that as an inspiration the problem was that I found the artwork and click the link
but it didn’t take me to a blog or a website which showed the name of the artist the
illustrations didn’t even happen artist signature so I
unfortunately do not know who created those beautiful fashion illustrations I
really like the style as well so it would have been so great I were able to find out who the artist
wise you guys know who the artist is for these illustrations I would appreciate it if you would let
me know other ways that’s alright I guess so the idea had in mind for this particular
illustration was that for the skirt court I would try
and use that technique I saw on the Internet and
you will see me do that later but for now this is the good old sketching part
entrance bring the sketch onto the watercolor paper using at the
light box with your YouTube main steps in Nigerian
process I mean if you guys have been watching my
videos you always see me do this the rough sketch and the
lightbox than the clean sketch it gets a little
bit repetitive but that’s my process I don’t really
think I change up my sketching process sins I haven’t thought other ways our method
aside from this current one besides this sketching process really
works for me so I might stick to it for a while okay now we’re in the coloring process and I think it’s quite self-explanatory
hell to use watercolor pencils I mean you lay
down the pencil on the page and you can if you want add water to the
pencil marks using a brush then you get the watercolor effect what
I tend to do is if the page is still down I collar
with the pencil so that I get really saturated lines which helped
create the shading in the picture in time to see me do that in the video
itself watercolor pencils I am using are by the way a really crappy and cheap
quality watercolor pencils some you guys might know that
summer-like art supplies or cheat and not even artist quality
materials and like some other than are from the
dollar store sometimes with those cheat art materials
it’s a hit and miss so far I’ve been pretty lucky to score
decent quality art materials for a bargain have a deal but for this one it was just miss the brand is or L I dull recommended all I’ve honestly never heard the brand the
forward but I got this set as pencils when I was 13
or 14 years old and it’s the only set watercolor pencils
I have in my art supply stash so this is what I’m
using for this video I feel like the quality
did effect the way the illustration came out in the
end you can kinda see that the colours or not vibrant and I found it really hard to make the
colors bright however speaking on a positive note
about how this illustration came out I only really late how I colored the
skin and that’s about it I don’t like how to
dress came out it looks way to lacked the here is all great but
I feel like I could have done better with it all with the skin I used the pencil to outline and and I love how it turned out originally
I was going to use my black while a near like how I did with my previous videos
for this series but when I play Stillwater and started
creating the watercolor effect on the skin the brown
but I used was somehow pushed aside instead being
blended with the flesh color technically that would it be ideal for a watercolor pencil because
you want the colors to blend together instead being pushed aside but because that
happened it created a subtle outline on the skin and I thought that looked awesome so in
the end i emphasize the outline by going over the jury in with the watercolor pencil
but that time I left it dry and didn’t at the water
that was kinda like my happy accidents I did the same thing for
the hair and address but it didn’t turn out the
same way hands so why am not too happy about it I also added some pink colors to the
knees and shoulders kinda like a blast I might have overdone
the shoulders at it but I really like companies turned out
which sounds odd saying out loud but I might
write out again for future artworks actually seen a lot manga artists and illustrators do that
further drains which is why I wanted to give it a try it kind of gives some sort I’ll innocent look to a character ask for the skirt I’m going to briefly talk about the
technique I try so from the artworks I saw on the
Internet it looks like they started by coloring
with the pencils in streaks then added water on top exact so it kind of gave a soft wash with the pencil streaks showing
underneath I tried that the first time but the
pencils ended up blending too much with the water so what I did was that
while the paper was wet I redrew the pencil marks which made the lines appear more vibrant I think the technique would work well
for hair and when rendering tool or maybe a really nice we did texture so overall I’m fine with this exploration its not something I would like to continue
to be honest but maybe if I got better quality
watercolor pencils I would have a different and better
experience the only thing i’m taking away from this
however is how I colored the skin which I can’t get enough I’ll anyway that is it for this video I hope you
guys enjoyed this video and the third part in my
exploration series which I mean it wasn’t exactly
what I was hoping it would be but lesson learned I gas with that said please check the Description box for any
up my social media links there are also the materials are used in
this video as well as and HQ and my email which you can use to
contact me for any questions or commission increase that is it please give this video a
thumbs up if he did like it and subscribe if you haven’t
already thank you so much for watching and I will see you in my next one be do doomed and and

• jessica bediako

Yay!!! Another video😍😍

• Jolieeezie

First!!!!!! Yessss

• Xin Yun Ng

SECOND!!!!

• Kent Lim

Ohh!! Wow

• LilouMinecraft

For the illustrations I was Carl Erickson I think 😊

• Art Epidemic

I love your fashion illustrations! I love watercolor pencils and I found that a good brand to start with is actually Crayola! They work really well and are a decent price.

• Allison Yates

One question- Where do you get the body form stencil that you use for drawing the body? Could you possibly link it for me? Thanks!

• jessica bediako

I'm happy that you tried this even though the outcome wasn't great. I think it's good to try things even though it may or may not work. Overall I still think the illustration was really good😍😍love you !!!

• Raji Jojo

yes yes:}

• yuni Chan

I love this very much…..

• Abigail Ramirez

heluu

• Gali Casas

Si! Nuevo video! Me encantan tus dibujos, enserio. Encuentro gran inspiración en ellos. Sé que no hablas español, pero me parece mucho más fácil expresarme en este idioma, aunque suene extraño. ¡Continúa haciendo videos como éstos! Besos!

• Jada Maze

I want to become a fashion designer but no matter how hard I try to draw the fashion figure it doesn't come out correctly. I try to draw the body my own way it's doesn't work out. I tired the nine heads technique I been practicing it over the years and it's like I get worst at it. What can I do ?

• David V.

You've inspired me to start drawing fashion and humans because I've always liked drawing clothes just never thought about drawing fashion but now I'm doing it and you've helped me so much and taught me many things about how to drawing and become better even though I'm only 13 and am a boy I find fashion very unique and awesome your awesome 🙂

• Lauren Williams

You made those watercolour pencils look amazing though lol

• Lauren Williams

Don't be sad Zyra, it looks really good x

• Sleepy Cookie

300 view….wow

• Ally Potter

I was just wondering if you could possibly go over the process of how you made your stencil because I've tried to make one myself but it really didn't work. So, if you get the time, I would really appreciate it!

• IYLI MAITREYI

Love all your works. Amazing.

• CharlotteDKnerd

I think it was quite good,and the style you used inspired me a lot 🙂 I use cretacolor akvarel pencils there are OK, but Faber-Castell should be some of the best on the market 🙂 hoping you are gonna try it out again sometime 😉

• Jikees

I believe the illustrations you found are made by Jiayin Li! 🙂

• Luc. Art

Plese do a room/desk tour love your channel Subje for ages

• Josie xoo

What tool did you use to blend the watercolours?

• Orubinka

Hi, Zyra! When I saw these beautiful dresses I remembered one of the Alexander McQueen collections, but unfortunately I don't know the exact illustrator who did it… Anyway, you did really good job! Wish you good luck and a lot of inspiration!

• Adiestia Clara

Hi, where did u get the figure template (on 1:59)? or did u make it? thanks if you're answering :)) x

• Emma Ryaan

I have a few questions. Do you have any tips on hands? Also is using water color from a tube or palette easier? Also where can i get some good artist tools (paints, paper, markers, etc.) for cheap? I have $90 saved up, with $65 from my birthday. Thanks Zyra!

• Emanuel Heifer

😍

• Shannon Marie

I still like the way it turned out!

• diana navarro

Another great art work 😍😍😘👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼amazing!!!!

• Rami RsS

Thanks for the vid Zyra!
    Btw, I used 2 brands of watercolor pencils.. first one is Adele which is decent. As for the other brand which is amazingly good it's called Faber Castell.  😀

• blake

i love the dress!

• Andri Arnarson

So beautiful as always! Can't believe you haven't studied fashion drawing, it's all just amazing! Keep doin' your thing!

• Samer Sam

Waw very nice zyra amazing♡♡♡♡♡

• april twins

Really beutiful
    Nice piece of art work.
    You really inspire me to draw and design.
    Thanks♥♥♥

• Marilou Ilagann

Will u do another painting with better quality water color pencils?

• Ali_Catt4

I'm new to YouTube and your channel and I must say- I'm in love with your artworks! They are so unique, creative, and they give you personality:) You are a very talented individual and your now my new inspiration. Well done Zyra! <3

• Laureen Llama

I don't use watercolour pencils too much, but I can share with you my experience on that. Sometimes it IS about quality. I have Staedtler Noris Club (24 colours) and Faber-Castell Goldfaber (12 colours, these are really old!) sets. I picked similar colours from both sets, put some colour on the same piece of paper and tried to 'blend' them with paper with the same amount of water. Noris ones aren't very bad, but I saw that the paper has still some pencil structure, and Faber-Castell ones just blend perfectly in my opinion. I did my best to use both of brands the same way and discovered that Faber-Castell pencils were better. If you want to have some more art pieces done with watercolour pencils, I recommend you to save up some money for more expensive, but good quality ones.
    One more thing: I tried to mix up some colours, and there's even more differences between these two brands. Well, for Noris pencils it looked worse than with Faber-Castell ones. And when you mix these two brands together, it doesn't look good. Just find your own brand that you'll like, and don't get discouraged by the quality of these you're using now! 🙂
    I hope this would help you with making decision! I think you're doing great with watercolours, so keep up the good work! 😉

• Manya Dhankani

You have inspired me alot…. I am from India and am a 13 year old child…. I am a fashion addict in this age and get really.get inspire by your illustration and always give a try to it….. I just wanted to ask that do we get copic markers in India

• LegitCupcake2260

Hi I just have to say your videos are great! Your tutorials are super helpful. I am also into fashion. Particularly costume design. I was wondering if you could do a collaboration with me? I sent you an email, but I know you're very busy. Thank you for your time.

• FT

Hi Zyra,the name of the artist who you asked about is Jiayin Li, check her out on http://www.jiayinli.com/

About the illustration, the skin came out really good. If you'd try better pencils, you would get more satisfaction with this media. Take a look at Derwent Inkntense or Derwent watercolor pencils. Derwent Inktense are more vibrant, but derwent watercolor pencils are also really nice.

• Devon Mannex

Hello Zyra, earlier I watched your video on your Video Set Up. I recently purchased a Logitech 920 via your advice, and I also have the Windows Movie Maker Program. I was wondering how you were able to speed up your videos for the "Speed Paint " look in the Movie Maker Program?

Thank you for your amazing art! It is very inspirational!

• Goretti Ntuba

Looks so amazing. Love ur work. I hope u continue to style explore

• HI I

Hi zyra,
    I love ur work, just a question, I wonder if u can do a back view illustration for beginners please? ?

• Manya Dhankani

• Luc. Art

Hey Zyra
    Plese do a desk/room tour It would be amazing

• Woqo Celestial

Очень красивые рисунки!Не знаю,знаешь ли ты русский,но буду очень рада,если поймёшь меня 🙂 У тебя очень много прекрасных идей,ты креативная и мне нравится смотреть твои видео 🙂 Продолжай в том же духе!

• sovazuzu

you should try koh-i-noor aquarelle pencils they are amzing. i use them as normal pencils too but i'm saving some money for normal ones 🙂

• Misan Graphics

may we do a collar please i really would love to work with you and mix our styles as i do more nature and animal drawings  (please ignore the first videos my art was in early stages) it would be so awesome if you did a mother nature design line art and i coloured on the computer or the other way around!

• Asha Bell

I have the same issues with my watercolor pencils. I own 24 colors from a local bookstore. They are fantastic for light gentle colors and paired with my Aquabrushes (I even own the one you used in this video) they help me create gradients. The downside is that they aren't vibrant and to give them more depth, several layers have to be applied to build up that depth. I used to have the same issue with the pencil marks, so I press as light as I can now, or give medium pressure on areas that will be shaded and blend out to the lightest areas. Other than skintones, I like watercolor pencils to render crepe fabrics. I heard of that Inktense is a good brand for stronger color tones, but they don't pick much color after the paper's wet.

• Halla Ibrahim

How do u edit ur videos

• Sports Girl

haha anyone see the water color of Bella and edward

• Ahmed Abdullah

How can i draw crystal

• Robin Wagganer

for a whimsical watercolor fashion artist, try Bella Pillar – so fun! And, Zyra, you have wonderful talent. Don't be so hard on yourself. We LOVE that you're willing to share your process!

• I'm usually inspired by Hayden Williams but I wanted to develop my own style so I searched some on YouTube and you came up. Your fabulous I'm only 12 but I have big plans and I find your style unique. I don't actually plan before I sketch I don't even use a template but 😍😍😍😍😍

• msrocknroll1000

Hi! I'm doing this project in school where I have to create a bunch of fashion illustrations and i've been watching your video's all day for inspiration as I'm not experienced with these kind of things and I am so amazed by your work! If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to scan/photocopy your illustrations?

• april twins

Which water colour pencil did you use
    I reallllly love ur water colour fashion illustration
    😉

• Marc Oliver

Zyra, teach us how to make a template like that one you use in your videos please! :DD

• luv2craftcards

you should turn your drawinings into rubber stamps. check out Julie nutting stamps manufactured by prima.

• Juliatxn

I really looooove your tutorial!! pls update more hehe

• Cloriphyte Gamer

Use PrismaColor water color pencils

• tamara fulton

You should do more tutorials for copic

• malia c

I recently got a water brush and it stained a bit, how do I get rid of it?

• faten salem

You are awesome 🙆 .. I really like ur works .. I wanna ask u , what kind of paper u use it in fashion ?

• Naresh Lenovo

can we do it with another water brush?

• Shubhi Sharma

what kind of water pencil you used

• Shubhi Sharma

actually i wanna try dis same

• Shubhi Sharma

as soon as possible reply me

• Paty B. -HoshiBlue21-

Hello!! Another great video!
    I use the same sketching process! First the sketch in the paper snd then the beloved light box to finish with a clean outline ready to be coloured.
    Watercolour pencils are good, but dometimes they are hard to get them working as we wish..is a practuce thing I think.
    The other day I just used them on pencil colours drawing to give texture to a carpet and a embroidery on a dress! Hehe was a fun experiment!
    You did amazing here! Lived how you did the skin!!
    Have a great week!

• Just someone e

Oh my ❤️🙈 iam a new subscriber and wow ur talented like extremky ❤️

• Kaylah Joseph

You should check out the derwent inktense pencils they don't leave pencil marks and go on really smooth. Great for doing sheer fabrics. If you let it dry then layer and paint with another color the top color will stay sheer. Totally awesome.

• CRI NGE

I adore designing as well like you, and you're my inspiration! The design you drew today reminds me of a dress I have in my closet and I absolutely think the design is great! It wouldn't be your best since there is tonnes to choose from and it would take forever because they are all so amazing!!! <3 By the way, red is also my favourite colour! Carry on being a great artist and designer Zyra, be the next Leonardo Da Vinci!!

• D K

i recommend the Lyra osiris aquarell pencils

• Linh Nguyễn

Hi Zyra , in my country , it's hard to find a light box. I love the way you sketching, i wish you can make a video tutorial how to make an easy light box 🙂 thank you 🙂 love your video xoxo

• Sydney Aussie

i love the way you blend colors. i hope i can buy that brush of yours here in Philippines

• nicole

Now many subscribers do you have ?? It doesn't show

• Klare Smith

What is that tracer you use in the beggining? Where can you get one of those?