How to paint a garage door using the Wagner Flexio sprayer

In this video I’m going to paint two garage
doors. This is the first door which is looking dated. You will also notice that
I have removed the door handle so that it can be opened from the inside only. I have
covered the hole using a small piece of stainless steel which has been stuck to
the door using grab adhesive. This door is being painted because I’m going to use it for a halloween projector. The second door is in much worse condition
and there’s paint flaking at the bottom, it also has a couple of aluminum vents
that need painting at the top. Both of these doors are going to be
sprayed using the Wagner Flexio sprayer using Zinsser Perma-White
external paint. If you don’t have a sprayer you could use a brush and a roller but you get a far superior finish using a sprayer. I’m mainly going to
concentrate on the first larger door but will show some footage of the smaller
door as more work was required on that door. To start off with I have put a dust sheet down on the floor this is plastic backed and so no over spray can penetrate the sheet. I have cut the dust sheet and taped it to the
floor using gaffer tape. Above the first door is a galvanized lintel the paint is
peeling from it badly because the incorrect or no primer has been used. There is also a loose bead of silicone which will be removed and replaced later. Removing this paint was difficult and
time-consuming in the end I used the angle grinder and the paint
remover disc. It’s now time to clean the whole surface. To do this I’ve used Zinsser Universal Degreaser. I am even cleaning the silicone around the edge as
I want to paint over this instead of replacing it. On the first door there is some form sticking through the gaps so I’m removing that before cleaning the rest
of the door. I have cleaned half of the door here so
that you can see how dirty it was to begin with. On the second door I had to spend a
while with the sander to remove any of the loose paint before cleaning it with
the Universal Degreaser. If you think the paint on the door may concern lead it
is essential that you wear a suitable dust mask. If you have a pressure washer
it might be a good idea to give the door a blast a few days before to remove as
much of the loose paint as possible. It’s now time to mix up some primer. I’m using Zinsser B-I-N for the silicone as I have used this previously. For the bare metal I’m using Zinsser 123. Both of these primers are over paintable after one hour. I’m priming the galvanized lintel, the stainless steel piece in the center and on the other door I’ve primed where the loose paint
had been removed as well as the aluminium vents at the top. The silicone
on both doors was really badly discoloured I did try cleaning this using Universal
Degreaser and also methylated spirits but it would not come clean. I thought I would try painting over the silicone and if it was not successful I could replace
it at a later date. I’ve primed the silicone using the Zinsser B-I-N and gave it two top coats of Perma White and surprisingly the paint took to the
silicone and it looked great. There are a lot of different silicone
formulations so this might not work on all types of silicone. Because the top coats of paint are being sprayed on to the door we need to do a really good job
of masking everything off. Firstly the masking tape was applied where I wanted
the paint to stop, then clear masking was tapped to the masking tape using gaffer tape and masking tape. It’s really worth spending the time here to get
everything perfect as the last thing you want is overspray or a un neat edge. Surprisingly the Wagner Flexio
delivers the paint really well with the minimum of overspray. It’s well worth the
extra effort of masking everything off because the paint finish is much better
than you would get with a brush or a roller. It is important you mix the paint correctly
and ensure that it is suitable for spraying. Zinsser Perma-White works really well for spraying but it is essential that the correct mask is worn during the
spraying operation. Before spraying the door I have tested out the spray pattern on a scrap piece of cardboard. The nozzle on the sprayer can be rotated
so that the spray can be used to spray vertically or horizontally. To start off with I’m doing the two edges of the door ensuring the spray nozzle is
adjusted to the vertical spray position. This spray is covering the edges of the door as well as the silicon which was primed earlier with the Zinsser B-I-N. I’ve now adjusted the nozzle for
horizontal spraying and I’m starting to spray at the top of the door and I’m
working from side to side and down. It’s surprising just how quickly you can cover a large area with a sprayer and get a brilliant finish. After two hours have passed I’ve given
the door another coat and then removed all of the masking and masking tape. Once this paint has dried fully it should
resist any mould growth for five years and it should last 10 to 15 years
before it needs painting again. The finish on both doors was absolutely
superb and I was really happy that I did not have to replace the silicon, as
it is time-consuming getting a neat bead next to rough bricks. I hope you’ve enjoyed watching this
video if you have and you haven’t done so already please subscribe to the channel.

• Matt Allen

Great video. Just need a review on the sprayer now. πŸ™‚ They don't seem outrageously expensive, like others!

• Mark Rowland

Great video, thanks. Did you need to thin the paint before spraying? What thinner did you use and how much did you need?

• Jim Hutton

Good job. Looks great

• Oli Hudson

Thanks for the video! What van do you have out of interest?

• Richard Grave

Great finish , after degreasing that paint you use will just take to existing paint with no issues? Atb Rich

• Mike S

Lovely job, I’ve a sprayer similar to this and used on the external shiplap on my sheds/workshop. It does not take too long to mask areas and I was surprised at how good the finish was over using a paintbrush. Won’t be using to spray my car but for what I want, similar to you, it does a very good job. Thanks for taking the time and effort in producing these – You make it all look too easy. Sun is shining here – have a great Sunday yourself. Regards Mike.

• stupossibleify

Another great video. Where do you buy your paint and ancillaries from? Do they offer retail purchase?

• tose22 tose22

Nice video. Have you make a video about the electric spray gun?

• Ian Hornby

Great video and a mighty fine job. I have used Zinsser products before and I think the range is excellent. I used some on a ceiling that was badly stained with tobacco and after sugar soaping and then emulsioning the stain kept coming through. The Zinsser paint (I forget which type) was worth its weight in gold.

• John Daniells

Bit of work in masking up but worth it. Looked cracking when u were finished mate.

• FΔ±rat Volkan TanΔ±nmış

What a clean paint job

• Peter Hurst

I have an Ebauer sprayer I generally use for fence coat – as the Zinsser paint is water based I can use that then? Did you have to take an special precautions to keep the sprayer clean? I guess cleaning between coats is essential?

• Cliff Carlo

It was nice to see someone taking their time on the prep work first, as they say, PPPPPP. Well done.

• Wasted - agen

I gotta stop watching your videos with the misses in the room. She sees them and says "oh we need to do our garage door too", the royal we of course.
    But she's right, it does need doing. Lol
    Great video as usual.. Thanks….

• lazylad 90

Good job that ches. 14 hours to edit😡😡😡😡 thanks for posting. Now you just need clean the brickwork πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• P0tat07

I love the pattern on the bricks.

• Joel Principle

Another great video well done. Did you ever have to water down the paints to ensure that you never had any blockages whilst spraying the garage doors?

• northshorepx

Great to watch – thank you. Quick question. Can I use a a big tank based compressor and paint sprayer to achieve the same result or are those for different jobs please? Thank you.

• Kam518

Any vids on how to deal with flaky metal paint and rust on garage door.

• david lacey

Seen them on them shooping channels,Good work on the doors.

• Scott Mclean

Thanks for this video it's really useful. I asked you about a month ago on this and you have delivered. Would this be suitable for painting any surfaces such as brick and pebble dash as long as I get the correct paint.?

• wayne burgess

πŸ‘πŸ€“πŸ‘ You can do my van next Chez πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ‘ Great video

• cheechU38K

Quality job as usual, bet your arm was in need of a rest after the marathon spray 😝 prep is the 'key' for all finishes that last!!! πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

• Nail Gun

Job well done ..
    Great attention to detail as always .

• Graham DIY

The fact it took you 14h makes me think again that people like you deserve a lot of thanks. I continue to be impressed by people on YouTube who spend their time making great videos and (I don’t know of course) but I doubt you’re making millions from this πŸ™‚

I’ve learnt a lot from YouTube, I don’t mind admitting that. I wasn’t born with the knowledge like some moaners/trolls magically seem to have been πŸ™„

And I’m not one of those people who is so arrogant that they think they know everything; however much you know, you can always learn more. Especially from your great, honest and most of all practical videos.

Keep up the good work πŸ‘

• lazylad 90

People doing diy fancy that eh πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• PB

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Garry Gemmell

Wow always impressed almost no contractors in this area or even some pros would sand it down – some of them wouldnt even put on an undercoat like i did! Used a paintbrush myself but the spray really does a perfect job as you say Ches!

What I am looking for is a spray that can do Weathershield – anyone that invents one that can spray that stuff on a house will make a fortune – its a huge job painting on Weathershiled on 1960's chuckie dash render even though its been painted a few times its still a bummer to use that brush and ladders to get the weathershield into all the nooks and crannies on a two storey Detached 1960 Villa (On A Hill lol – Watch my ladders wobble!!! >;o))!

• Ratch Riat

thank you for your time and effort for all your video helping a lot off people.

• Eric Whitaker

is there a reason you didn't power wash the doors?

• Barry Roberts

Great job well done.
    Barry (Wirral, ENG)

• vernon clay

Top job sir! Having just washed my garage door and replaced the cladding surrounding it I now get a buzz everytime I leave/return to the house!Your presentation is very clear and easy to follow. I really appreciate the time you take to simplify so many different projects. All the best!

• Spend Time, Save Money, DIY

Another great video! Very thorough! It's all in the prep work! I am also learning a lot from your video presenting skills! Thanks keep the great videos coming πŸ”¨πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Norman Boyes

Nice job – I have a Wagner (the one with the fan and hose) – I might just do the garage doors for the practice. πŸ™‚

• Zed Man

Great work. That sprayer made light work of that. Good tip on removing that handle.

• Roy Wrenn

That looks fantastic, great job!! The second door really did turn out great. I'm glad to see someone taking the time to do the prep work. There are way too many people that don't do prep at all. I used to work for a guy like that. I lasted a whole four hours.
    Keep up the great work

Thanks for sharing

• David Young

Great video.

• Richard Grave

Anybody know is the Zinsser only available in white ? I'm guessing it wouldn't cover a red door? Cheers

• anonymous

Good job Tommy!

• TheAudiostud

"Right! That's my DIY Fix for the day" Great Work, Well Done!

• scott mclean

Can you jus pour any paint into the sprayer flask and away you go, gloss, emulsion, varnish ? Do you have to thin the paint down with white spirits ? Thanks very much for video

• scott mclean

Thanks appreciate your time

• andyhello23

Yep, those spray painters create such a better finish overall, than just a brush.

The finished job, looks excellent. Due to the time you spent mostly preparing. The part most people miss.

Nice job.

• plunder1956

Nice masking work. Bit that spray gun could do with a 4 or 5m lead πŸ˜€

• Δ°sa KoΓ§oğlu

I was wondering how many times you had to refill the sprayer's tub for that garage door?

Keep up the great work πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

• mche8778

Thanks for taking the time to film and edit this video. It is great to see the level of effort that you put into your work. Could you please tell me what setting you used for air flow on the sprayer? It looks like you were able to achieve a very fine spray pattern!

• Tony McNeill

Love your videos mate. When I have a DIY task your channel is my immediate go to.

• jdubdoubleu

Is the sprayer pretty loud?

• hauntedhouse

Seems a bit weak to me, thanks for helping me make a decision πŸ‘πŸ•Ί

• Ukefriction

Great video, appreciate the effort that goes into them. I'm renovating my house one room at a time so loads of wall and woodwork painting. Would you recommend the Wagner 590?

• Mick D

Convinced me to get the 590 – should save me lots of time, and if I prepare and take care give a great finish to boot.
    Cheers from downunder mate,

• kevin benstock

good video mate, i was thinking of getting one of those sprayers, there are a lot of them on amazon and ebay really cheap Β£30 upwards but i suppose you get what you pay for, did you have to thin the zinsser or stir then straight from the can into sprayer?
    have you tried water based paints in the sprayer to spray MDF i was thinking of doing a built in wardrobe. keep up the good work, kevin