How to Shape a Sculpture – Kevin Caron

(Text on screen): Creating Art: Shaping a Sculpture, Kevin Caron, www.kevincaron.com The Voice: Hey, Kevin. What are you doing? Kevin Caron: Well, you guys are learning all my secrets in here now. This is for a new bell. Actually three bells on a stand 8 foot in the middle and then 7 foot on one side and 6 foot on the other side. So, I’m trying to lay out the arc that I want for all three of the arms. Well, I’ve got to have different heights, the different radius (radii). So I’m using my big table here. So, I’ve measured out 8 foot from the end of the table; that’s ground. Seven foot, 6 foot. I’ve got one of my bells here. So I have to put a ring on it. As you can see, I’ve already cut the bottom out of it. So, this will be my; this will be the big bell that goes on an 8-foot-tall arm. So, I can just slide it right on to here where it needs to be, and I came up with a way to do it. I came up with a cheater way. I put a clamp down on that end and I put a piece of stainless steel rod in it. And I clamped a pair of vice grips on the end, just do it doesn’t squirt out and go flying across the shop. So, this is my starting point. And then I just took a couple of welding magnets, and use it to hold the other end. So, now I can come in here and get whatever kind of curve I want, and stick it in there with a magnet in it. And that’ll hold the curve. So that I can just come along and trace it out; get my line. I can bend one piece. Then I know I just have to come in a set amount. Come in four inches. Bend another piece on the same angle and I’ve got my arm. Do it two more times. Weld it together. It’s like having a big piece of sketch pad, you know? You can draw on this whole big table. When you’re all done, you just wipe it off and make a new one. Sometimes people ask me, “Well, how do you figure out that arc? How do you get that whole thing so it looks right?” A lot of it happens in here. Move over a little. Move over that way a little; stand right behind the bell and you can look and see where the bell is gonna hang. And you can see the way the arc is set up in there. And what I was looking for is just that nice, smooth transition. Remember, now, this is three different arcs. Just that nice, smooth flow from where it goes into the ground at the base and it kind of opens up a little bit and it’s a little shallower in here. And then it kind of curves in and it gets a little tighter. It gets a little straighter. It goes almost horizontal, so the bell can hang straight down from it rather than the bell hanging back against or above the arc where it doesn’t have room to move. This way, it can hang more out in the open, sort of, and swing back and forth. A lot of it’s just feeling. You, know, you look at it and you say, “Too tight,” or, “Just right,” or, “Oh, that’ll never stand up.” So, I’m gonna make these three. Then I’m gonna join them kinda in the middle, or down towards the base a little bit. The three of them on the bottom will be going in three different directions. They’ll intersect one another in the bottom third. And then the three of them will hang up there all by themselves. So, it’ll be pretty neat-looking: that whole junction in there when I get it all put together. Hope that helps. See you next time! (Text on screen): Subscribe to See More Videos! See and hear more at KevinCaron.com.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@CBaughman Got new doors! Well I got doors, there never were any.
    But just for all you folk I did clean up a bit.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@StMichaelsCrew There will be a couple more videos with this piece. You can also keep on to date on the website. Lots of photos over there.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@StMichaelsCrew Not sure where the mix up is. This is a new piece. I just started it a few days ago. Mary (the voice behind the camera) also puts it on the website at the same time.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@StMichaelsCrew Or you could just sign up for the newsletter and then you will always be in the know…

• Ask the Builder

Kevin, Reminds me of my building days. To create arcs and curves like you did in this video, I used thin lattice strips of wood. Worked well every time.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@AsktheBuilder Thanks! Always great to hear I am on the right track. Sometimes the simplest things work the best. See you soon!

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@bjensen5 I normally just cut they off about 1 1/2 to 2 inch up from the bottom. I have only had to tune one and I just kept grinding off the bottom until it sounded right. I did find a wind chime tuning site. It had lots of specs. for metal or alum. and you could input your pipe size and wall thickness. I will look around and see if I still have that site. For clappers I use a steel disk filled with sand to give it some weight. I also put a VERY thin coat of silicon around the outside edge.

• C Crosby

That BIG hydraulic table itself is cheating. I don't need one but I'm still jealous! 🙂

Sounds like a nice piece. Can't wait to see the progress and the finished work. Still think you should show us how you really work — in a robe, with a magic wand…with a unicorn and dragon looking on. Whoa. Need to stop inhaling whatever my neighbors are burning. 🙂

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@VisorBlue Hell, go ask if they have any extra and stop on over!!

I keep telling you all it is not magic, just hard work and lots of head banging against the wall.

• C Crosby

@kevincaron I work hard and bang my head against the wall all the time ('cause it feels so good when i stop). All I get is headaches and sweaty, you get amazing art! 'Tis magic I tell you.

• German Almonacid

kevin I'm jelous too I know how to weld every project that I start becomes just a deception……you are the best

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@914peru Thanks!

Stay tuned, lots more on the way….

• Mitchell Dillman

Hey Kevin, I sure like that feeling you get! =)

• Re Silc

You are a smart guy. The stuff I have learned…. many thanks. always finding "new" things