Improve your Sketches with Krita

Hello everybody! and welcome to a new
video for Krita and digital painting the last video was very well received so
thanks a lot for helping us to refine Krita and to grow as a community.
and yes, we are growing really fast, and we have noticed some people have
troubles with technical stuff. Honestly, I try to do my best answering in the comments,
but if you need things related with technical stuff, Krita has two special
pages you can use for that purpose. Reddit Krita page and the official
Krita forum. Developers can help you very well there, and this way we focus
all the technical stuff in one point, not multiple points in social media like
Twitter, Facebook, Mastodon, Deviantart … You know! all of them. Krita team can help you directly in this two sites, because there are people to help you there. Now please, spread this, because it will help a lot Krita development. Always remember to
explain well your problem. Let me give you an example of bad practice (report) or good practice (report). And remember you have timecodes in the description below and also direct links to reddit or Krita forum. That been said let’s go with the content.
As you know everything begins with our sketch. Film industry with the concept
art, animation, which means tons of sketches and even not digital painting
related jobs require good sketches but what is an sketch and why is
important? the sketches are some Strokes used to define an idea or represent
something real or from your imagination. They help us to refine our designs
before the final art and be more confident with this final art. Also are useful in big
production pipelines to show the changes faster when is needed. So would you like to know more about the sketching, and are you ready for a good surprise at the end of
the video? because we will be covering that right now, the sketching stage Sketching or doodling is one of the
first things we learn, at least at a basic level in our lives. Most of us have
played with crayons and colored pencils. This video is going to cover two
different parts. The first one is: tips to sketch faster and better with digital
tools and the second one is some kind of tips with examples to create your own
pencil sketch brushes for drawing and shading. Part 1. sketch better with your
digital tools. Don’t do everything by hand Yes, I know practice makes perfection,
but time is also important so if you are using digital tools, why not using this
advantages? I do all the time. For example… do you need to draw all the lines by
hand? of course you can do it but you have
good tools that can help you. let’s explore some of them. Lines. If you want to make
lines you can use the “V” shortcut with the paintbrush tool. This change
temporarily to line tool and you can enable sensors to have the pressure
input during the brushstroke. With “Alt” key you can modify the origin of the line. Square tool. When we want to make frames in a fast way we can use the square tool
or if we need geometrics shapes we can use polylines. Can we shade with
polylines? sure. Save time with the helpers The drawing assistants. if you need to
draw Things with perspective or concentric lines, these are your friends.
We can also save the settings to files. nice! so would you improve them in any way? let me know about it in the comments.
Adjust the pressure to your needs. Not everybody has the same strength every
time so please take this in consideration if you feel your brushes
behavior are too rough or different from the screenshots. (or videos). We can avoid to fix later shaded elements if we go from the bigger shapes to smaller ones.
this also help us to understand better the image or our design and at the same
time we get the shape contrast having big and smaller shapes. how to create the
pencil sketch brush for drawing and shading? who wants to have good tools? I think all we do because we work better and is more fun. basically we’re going to
be playing with scatter also known as jitter. Pattern also known as Texture and
The fuzzy features also known as random. but how a pencil brush works? we have two modes to manage the opacity and overlapped effect in Krita. The “wash” mode
or “build up” mode for painting mode. For pencils, i prefer to use the build up
painting mode to get the overlapped opacity effect between dabs. We need
to remember that Masked brushes only can use the “wash” mode( nowadays ) and they are more affected by the flow in the secondary brush tip. let’s see some
samples of pencils. Comic oriented. If you want a controllable pencil created to
give you detail and a bit of textured look for example in comic panels and
details in your character, this brush was designed for that and it produces a
very good stroke that you can see in the screen right now. This Brush use the Auto brush tip to avoid the use of any bitmap brush tip showing the potential of Auto
brushes. We can play with the scatter and more noise but for comic is good this
way. Not too much grain and not too perfect is a 50% in effect
I tested this brush with a comic maker and received good feedback, thanks mate. Soft and hard mixed. We can recreate grain look with a lot of tweaking in
scatter combined with opacity curves and size let’s explore what can be done
with this brush. As you can see, we can both drawing in shading using only the
pressure. It’s easy to use and really powerful, but if we increase the size we
see weird behavior for textured results. do you like this kind of brush? I
do. They can’t be scaled too much because we lose the texture illusion. Mixed
behaviors. Sometimes what we need is a really soft pencil brush with tilt
features so if you have tilt feature in your tablet maybe this will be your
choice. with this brush we can adjust the angle of the brushtip imitating
tilted pencil brush stroke and that gives a richer traditional look. fluid
lines with different weights. Special textured eraser. If you want to erase
things without deleting the grain, you have to invert the pattern to get the
right effect. Let me show you with an example. As you can see now we have the pattern feature with the “invert” parameter On. This is important if we
want to keep the grain. When we press “e” shortcut we don’t invert the pattern.
Shading brushes. They need to be Scalable… Easy to change the texture or grain, not
focused on detail, and be controllable with the sharpness feature. One of the good things about the pencil brushes is that they usually are ready to be used as
they were created without changing them too much. We need a different kind of
pencil for shading tasks. When we are shading we use a lot of different sizes
and the texture or grain has to be the same. For that reason we use the pattern
feature. This brush shows how easy we can get a good shading with texture. The
good thing is that changing the pattern we change completely the grain effect.
that’s very good for traditional look but hey! why is this pencil so rougher
with big pressure? that is because we are using this recently added feature (“Sharpness”) controlled by pressure. another good point, is that we only have to change the
brush tip and we get a new profile for our brush. Do you see the possibilities?
That makes me realize how important is to have good and unique pattern
resources. hmm sounds interesting as you can see drawing with Krita can
be really fun and easy. Inside the program we have brushes to draw complete
artworks or sketches imitating the classical graphite and charcoal. I hope
you enjoyed this video and learnt interesting things to apply in your
daily work or your next masterpiece. Remember, if you want to see more videos
like this, support this channel subscribing, hit the bell to receive the
notifications and surprises, and share in your social media with your friends. If
we grow as a community we can create together a better Krita software and
as I was telling you at the beginning of the video, there is a surprise. Did you
liked the brushes shown in the video? then you can download them for free. I hope you enjoy them and for the next video I would like to be showing some of your sketches
done with these brushes, so stay tuned because your work can be selected. just
let me know if you draw something with them in the comments. now I leave you
with the Sylvia Ritter’s work. Wonderful color and unique style. If you like it,
then follow her work. She is a really good Krita artist. to know more about her
you can check the interview in the Krita page here. Link is in the description
below and… ok! while I am still preparing the requested layers & masks
video, speed painting seems to be a nice topic for another video. So let me know
if you are interested in the comments, because I read all the comments to see
what you are interested in. Now it’s time to continue the video production. Stay
tuned and enjoy your paintings, bye…

• PurpleStorm8

0:41 I'm sorry!? 0_0….*Turns on captions* Oooohhh! "Focus", ok.

• Lobo BRA

Amazing stuff! Good to see how powerful Krita is becoming.
    Thank you guys!

• ramiz should

Awesome tools

• Richard Haas

Your videos aren’t long enough!

• ramiz should

Hello sir my name is Ramiz yes i love kirta and i ll follow all your websites and i support as much i can but sir please do teach us how to animate in kita and for my first time using i made this awesome masterpiece which i ll link in the end of comment when i heard about kirta i never thought how awesome it is though and im anime director though what is my first ever art i made with kirta and i totally agreed the tools are awesome, cheers. https://www.deviantart.com/darkramiess/art/Live-Finsheda-785909154.

• Luk70

Good video. I didn't know about the perspective brush. Thank you. My ilustration from krita: https://www.deviantart.com/senseirukasu/art/Kiki-Fanart-Color-815232473

• Wojciech Trybus

While sketching is not really my thing, as I rather start with shapes to establish the form and lighting, I wanted to share that I really appreciate the work you put in those videos. We need things like this going on as a community. Thanks a lot 😉
    And as I see people are sharing, here is mine artwork: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAdGqa . I'll let know if I manage to do something with those sketchy brushes 🙂

• Mirai Hi

Krita is indeed very powerful software, and we need more videos like that, presenting its features within a practical point of view.

• Pedro Reis

Excellent, we really need these types of videos! Great tips, and a huge thank you for the brushes!

• Josepelotudo Gomezcredulo

Acotado, conciso, enfocado en lo esencial. Sumamente útil para iniciarse en Krita. Excelente trabajo!.(gracias por la inclusión).Esperamos los siguientes… .

• MangaTengu

Funny how after using krita for years I still wish I had seen such videos back then.
    I've started using krita years ago. I remember trying it out after seeing you draw a badass robot in symetry.
    Expecting to see the next one soon !

• F. Dufresne

Actually yes, i have seen many people struggling about how record his work, how speedpaint with Krita would be a really good video for the channel and community

• BlenderBurst

I don't see the Free Brushes link. Is it in the video description? Also could you make a video on how to import Brushes into Krita?

• Aleksandr Pintorinskiy

Thanks Master!!!

• Krita

Link to the brushes: https://files.kde.org/krita/extras/RM_Sketch_V1.bundle
    /tiar

• Green Dragon Art

Awesome!! Thank you for the brushes!! 😀

• Georges Tsukaïmah

Hello and ty for this video tips.
    Please how can I make my hown vectorial library?

Merci 😉

• Jabiertxof Foxtreibaj

Thanks Ramon for making FLOSS software more accesible!

• Night Azure

for the next video can you show how to give your work a free flow look?

• ImageArt

Can you show us more how to actually paint in krita ? Some landscape or something.

• Storm McAllister

Awesome video!!

• Ramón Miranda

Is anybody here testing the brushes? 😁 Don't forget to share your sketches done with the pack 😉

• Lara

Los 2 dislikes deben de ser de la competencia de otro sowftware que estan nerviosos de ver el avance de Krita 😀😁

• BE A

can anyone release a free krita-bush pack for PINSTRIPING ?

• Alastair Palm

Thanks so much!

• AmethystMoon

Yoooo this is really nice! 😀 It is very helpful for someone like me who just started using the program.

• jmalmsten

Maybe it says more about me than I want to admit. But at first repeatedly heard that many people have problem with… "Tentacle stuff"…

0.o

• Compositing

Super helpful, thank you!

I for one would be interested in speed painting in Krita as a future video.

Thanks for the cool sketch brushes!

• Xuan

Thanks a lot for the video and the brush pack! 😀

I am mainly a Photoshop user but I also use Krita from time to time and I have a question about the line tool: I tend to use a lot of vertical and horizontal lines with photoshop, by just pressing the shift key. On Krita, to achieve the same effet I have to press V, then start drawing the line, then press shift, so my workflow is rather slowed down. I had never noticed the line tool options until this video, so do you know if by change the Krita team is planing on adding a checkbox so the line tool could automatically create vertical/horizontal lines (or lines automatically stuck at specific drawing angles)?
    Also, I noticed the "show preview" checkbox with the line tool, but after doing some testing it doesn't seem to change anything whether it is checked or not: is that normal?

Thanks in advance, ¡y saludos cordiales desde EEUU!

• strokesofboredom

what version of krita is this?

• Zebedea Kyla

I have been using Krita for about 4 years now, I have especially loved the Animation function but find it hard to work smoothly because it lags and it eats too much of my ram 😢 I support you guys and I hope to have Krita as light and as fast for other pcs too ❤️

you can check out my Artworks in the Instagram: @zebbyscribes ❤️

• James Patel

Thanks so much for the brushes! Me and many in my community use krita so hopefully we have a few good sketches to share using them.

• Joy Nigam

You mentioned using drawing assistants to make perspective view in krita and make arts faster. How can I access those assistants?

• Roberto Tamburrino

nice video, of course we want another video on krita!

• Maple Tree BB

This video is so helpful, I love Krita! Thank you!

• GrayPsyche

Thank you for the continuous updates and for the brushes! Can you tell us how to import them?

• Morten Telling

Thanks Ramon and thanks to all you guys working hard to develop Krita further. Thanks to all of you, Krita just gets better and better. That´s why I happily pay a regular amount every month to support your work.

• Jojogape

4:07 did he just "*click* nice" us

• Júlio César Brito Gardona

A vídeo for speedpainting whould be amazing.

• Nam Timothy

Hi Ramon! Your video is so amazing that I wanna grab my popcorn to watch all your tips! 😂 However, I experience a brush lag where my krita suddenly freeze and start loading "freehand brush strokes". May I wonder on how to fix them? Thanks and good luck to your upcoming videos! 🙂

• Scarlet

Hello I have a question about the new "Reference Image docker." Is it better to use this rather than just paste in a reference image into a layer? I tried to use the new docker but it doesn't let me crop the reference image. When you are working on sprites or something you don't necessarily want the whole sheet of the 2D assets, so it would be helpful if we could crop the ref image. Thanks!

• Júlio César Brito Gardona

Hey Ramon, how did you made flow parameter always visible?