Maximize Your Space: Stunning Designs for Small Gardens

[Music] Hello! Many of us grow our fruits, vegetables and flowers in a garden that’s, well, smaller than we’d like. If your horticultural ambitions are bigger than your plot there are a number of clever design techniques you can use to fully utilize every last scrap of space at your disposal. In this video we’ll show you how to plan a small garden so you can create your own garden paradise in even a tiny space. All gardens – even small ones – usually have lots of vertical space, so make the most of it. You can attach planters to walls or fences, or secure mesh or trellising to encourage climbers to reach for the skies. Even walls shaded at the base may still have plenty of sunlight for climbing plants, setting up the perfect combination for many perennial plants of cool moist roots and sunny leaves. Naturally climbing or sprawling plants that can be trained to grow upwards include delicious kiwi fruits, grapevines, and a whole host of climbing beans, peas squashes, and vining tomatoes. Make sure supports are sturdy enough to hold the plants up – a squash in full fruit, for example, can be very heavy. Many tree fruits such as apples, pears and peaches can be trained into particular shapes to hug walls or fences. Single-stemmed cordons, espaliers with their parallel branches, or radiating fans look beautiful while making incredibly efficient use of ground space. While most of these fruits will prefer a wall that catches plenty of direct sunlight, there are still fruits that will thrive on shadier walls including sour cherries, varieties of gooseberry and red and white currant . Underplant your fruit with flowers and herbs to make use of all the space available. Our Garden Planner includes a range of plants suitable for vertical growing. Take this cordon apple for example. Let’s select it and drop it into place against this fence. The shaded area shows exactly how much space it needs so it’s easy to add further cordons at the correct spacing while making the most of the fence space you have available. The traditional approach is to set aside a dedicated area for growing vegetables, fruits and herbs, but in the smallest gardens that simply isn’t possible. Try growing edible and ornamental plants together – the results can be stunning! In fact, there are many benefits to this approach. Planting flowers and vegetables together makes it harder for pests to hone in on a specific crop while an abundance of blooms ensures there are always beneficial insects on hand to pollinate flowering vegetables such as squash and of course every type of fruit, from blackberries to pears. Select edibles with both good looks and taste. Contrast different leaf textures or colors, for example billowing green curly kale with red cabbage, or lettuce in green and red. Choose varieties with interesting flowers (pretty climbing beans for example) or unusual but handsome looks such as bulb or Florence fennel, or a variety of chard with colorful stems. Include edible flowers like nasturtium and calendula, or flowers such as alyssum that are known to attract pest-eating predators like hoverflies. You can use the Garden Planner to find out the best flowers to include with specific crops using the companion planting feature. Simply select the crops you wish to match, then click the Companion Planting button. The selection bar now shows suitable companions, including flowers. Hmm…let’s try some zinnias with these salad leaves. It’ll look great, and attract butterflies. As well as mixing up different types of plant together, you can proactively plan to maximize your garden’s overall productivity. One way to do this is to select only high-yielding or high-value crops. Tomatoes will give lots of fruits over the summer, while chard can be cut repeatedly over a long period to give several harvests from the same plant. Runner beans and zucchini are notoriously prolific, while radishes are so quick-growing you can sow, grow and pick several generations of roots in a single growing season, or plant them in between slow-growing crops and harvest them early. You could give some space over to Square Foot Gardening, a method of growing that enables crops to be grown at a far higher density by using a high-nutrient, moisture-retentive soil mixture. Use the Garden Planner to work out exactly how many vegetables you can grow in this way. Just click on the SFG button to switch to Square Foot Gardening mode. Now when you pick up and drop in a crop, the software automatically calculates how many plants you can grow in each square foot. Containers with potting soil tailored to suit the plants grown within them will also yield a surprising range of harvests. Choose compact varieties suitable for growing this way and arrange them to maximize their visual impact. Add further interest by selecting pots in pretty colors, glazes and designs, or upcycle everyday objects to create unusual yet eye-catching containers. And don’t forget hanging baskets, which can be positioned to catch valuable sunlight. You’ll want your garden to be somewhere beautiful to relax too, so include seating within your plan. Make a seat or bench as rustic or sleek as you desire and surround it with aromatic herbs or fragrant flowers to enjoy. In a small garden every surface counts, so opt for attractive paths and handsome hard surfacing. The Garden Planner includes a range of options – paths in, for example, stone or a brick herringbone pattern, or paving in all manner of textures and colors. You can add vertical interest to your plan with an arbor, arch or pergola perhaps cloaked with climbers such as melons or beans to create a spectacular focal point to your garden. Any garden – even the smallest garden – can look just great, and I hope this video has given you a few ideas to try out on your own. Of course, if you’ve got other tips for planning a small garden we’d love to hear about them, so do drop us a comment below. We’ve got lots of other design solutions for gardens of all shapes and sizes over the coming months, so if you haven’t yet subscribed to our video channel now’s the time to do so, so you don’t miss out! I’ll catch you next time. [Music]

• Kat Gillard

I'm planning lots of vertical growing areas this year. There's so much to do but I'm getting there ?

• Cynthia Shawl

I can see that you have great ideas, and I would LOVE to learn more…..but…….there is SO much information given SO fast, and ALL crammed into such a SMALL amnt of time! Your rapid-fire delivery is simply TOO much info MUCH to fast! Sorry….

• 303HammerHead

Can't wait to have an actual backyard and garden!

• Laura Stout

great video, love the ideas

• Haphazard Homestead

I like the wattle back on the stone bench! I'll have to try something like that. And that's a nice collection of ideas. One pot with plants is a garden, so any size is possible. Thanks.

• SirMarcutiotheCat

the hanging water melons really get to me for some reason

• Wingedshadowwolf

Hey, do you guys know when the Android version of the garden planner will be available? I don't have an iPod or desktop device

• CM Connolly

cheers and great video.

• Yvette Moore

Fantastic! Thanks Ben 🙂

• Andrew Lockwood

Useful information.

• McLovin

I have galaxy s8+, no app for that so I'm out.

• Cls

Never seen those squash, they r huge.

• Rob Backyard Gardenerr

Great video with loads of ideas and tips for small space gardening! Really enjoyed this one! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Jlmhl Taylor

I use the square foot method, and I do not use the fancy soil mixes like most do use with it. Instead I use compost, I use trifecta plus, and I just now got the drip irrigation, although I bought everything from scratch and have to put together, so we will see if this helps. If the plants look like they need a boost later in the summer, around august or September, I just scratch some compost and maybe some more trifecta plus in around the roots and water. I also use morblooms, and fish fertilizer, and occasionally Epsom salt if needed. I have found that I could simply use a large tomato cage for about 2 or so cucumber plants to grow in, and it works really well. This year, I think I might look for more ways to grow vertical and save on space in the garden! Would love to see some more ideas for climbing plants such as spaghetti squash, watermelon, acorn squash and some more. Your garden looks really lovely and beautiful. I love just going out in my garden, listening to the birds, seeing all the life in there. Its a calming effect, which is why most refer to this as garden therapy. Looking forward to my chickens coming in later in June! Happy Gardening!

• Dustin Stafford

Does anyone know what the light purple flower is at about 1:42? I've seen it around our neighborhood but no one knows what it's called.

• M Normile

No audio! And it's turned up all the way.

• Shaun Monthei

I want to start gardening again!!!! But I have ground hogs and other annoying animals that eat off the tops of my herbs. I'm afraid to start another garden(last garden was many years ago) I had two dogs then. Now they are gone and I would love to know what to do now?????

• Sylvia Quinones

Hi: Fantastic tutorials. Where i find a garden planer? Thanks

• akzidentz0

I am using your garden planer and it real helps, since I am a noob at gardening, but I have a question concerning crop rotation – program shows you warnings in next year plan for rotation which is great, but if you plant in succession in the same year it doesn't! (for example if i have early potato bed (march till July), if for august I choose to plant other plants it doesn't show rotation warnings… This feature would really help though! Thanks for videos!

• Vi Vacious

I'm curious as to whether you can caption these videos for those of us who are deaf?

• tungavidya dasi

I can not use the planer as it is in English measurements. do you have option to change it in cm and meters?

• Prisilla Cope

How beautiful!

• Sue Ridder

Beautiful garden!

• Jasmine

What is the name of the flower tree at @0:44

• Thomas Hughes

How do you spell the name of the plant you say scares off aphids – is it annisum? allysum – i am trying to find it online to buy some seeds.

• P Dyson

19 Quid a year for a garden planer that is over ten year old it's a joke , it used to be a free program years ago money grabber

• lane laney

I really enjoy your videos, and your garden planner is the best I've seen. I've had a very large organic garden for years and rate your website as one of the best. Thank you.

• Lazy Acres Farm Jenn Flowers

Thanks! You gave me quite a few ideas. I found myself scribbling to remember them…

• Nada Kodsia

I already subscribed, love your channel…

• mmtruooao

It always stresses me out buying seeds though because I want a lot of different plants instead of a monoculture but there's going to be so many seeds leftover :_

• Bchara Bujawdeh

Hi. Sorry but i gave up on your garden planner a long time ago since no matter how much i tried i could never get it to take the climate location of Lebanon

• Jacqui Sangma

??

• yello there

Loving you demos n basic instructions..I've lots of raspberry red n yellow..but im unsure when to prune or if they are types that grow on 2nd year fruiters. Some have died n are sprouting from bottom…Any advise im gratefully before I kill them xx thankyou xx

• Tara Bonee

You have the cheeriest "Hullo!" I've ever heard, lol. It suits the content of the videos, but more than that it makes me crack a grin everytime! Lol

• jessica Greer

I do not have a Green thumb like My Precious Mom, May God Rest her soul, but I try to plant flowers and vegetables because I love them all. But, The squirrels can't stick to just One Tomato, they have to take bites out of a bunch of my tomatoes and then just leave them alone, One squirrel sat on my fence bravely holding and eating my tomato while he kept staring at me, All I can do as Laugh and let him enjoy his Lunch ! But how do you keep squirrels and pests away ?, and some tomatoes either a rotten spot or the leaves have holes int hem or they have this white stuff on them, help please : )

• Ayush Dewangan

Which gardening app can I use for design of layout?

• Adam Caine

I have the bad knot weed growing in my garden and the place I want to grow veg we are treating it but obviously it's going to take a long time can I still grow veg?

• Dave Charlton

This is a helpful video but isn't really about stunning design as the title indicates

• Patricia Hilliard

Great ideas!

• Silverthorn Landscaping

I really like your ideas , I’m a landscape gardener & I’m always thinking of new ideas, my best wishes & thanks for the inspiration ?

• Murtaza Garden

Hamra channel be subscribe karo bahut fayda hoga