Sandblasting a Metal Sculpture – Kevin Caron

(Text on screen): Sandblasting: Micro Style Kevin Caron, www.kevincaron.com (sandblasting) The Voice: Hey, Kevin. What are you doing? Kevin Caron: Playing. We’re gonna change the finish on this. I did a little work on the base, and now I wanna strip it. So this is a little hand sandblaster. So we’ve got some aluminum oxide, I think it is, and you just fill up the little gun and just blast it off of there. The problem is, it doesn’t last very long because this is such a small little container. It’s really only meant for doing little tiny areas. But it does the job. So, it just takes a lot of trips back to the bucket. A lot of trips to the bucket. (loading sandblaster) See, some of this stuff is kinda cool. It’s a little white; almost like a beach sand, but it’s not. But you have this kind, you have crushed walnut shell for doing, like, really soft metals like copper or brass. Where this stuff might etch into the metal if you had a higher pressure, the walnut shell won’t touch the metal; it won’t damage the metal at all. It will just take the finish off. We’ve got some other stuff over here that will etch the metal. Even with this little gun, it will sit there and put grooves into the metal. Strange stuff. Back to work. (text on screen): After Several More Rounds The Voice: Is that how you do your big pieces? Kevin Caron: No. No. We send all the big stuff, we send over to a regular sandblast company with a great, big diesel-powered air compressor and a great big pot of sand and he wears a full suit with a respirator, and it’s amazing to watch. You go over there and look inside his booth and it looks like a whiteout in there from all the sand going everywhere. He laughs every time he sees this little thing. He says, “You’ve got to get serious someday.” The Voice: How are you powering the little gun? Kevin Caron: I’ve just got the little air compressor here in the studio. It just runs on 120 psi. Then you just pull the little trigger right there and just go for it. The Voice: Where’d you get the gun? Kevin Caron: Oh, this is from Harbor Freight. You get what you pay for. I’ve got to get to work. The sun’s coming. Bye! (Text on screen): Subscribe To See More Videos, See and Hear More at KevinCaron.com.

• Ask the Builder

Cool tool. So that wasn't silica sand in the gun? It really was aluminum oxide? Aluminum oxide is the grit you see on sheets of brown sand paper at the hardware store. it's an amazing abrasive, because as it's used, it's self-sharpening.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

That's what it says on the can. Looks like sugar to me.

• C Crosby

Interesting. I've used a sand blast booth before but never seen a small unit like this. Use it enough and your studio will have a nice beach front look to it. Pretty cool and handy for small things. Thanks for the idea.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@goldfishvt I would think the 15 gallon tank is a little small. You will run out of air pretty quick. I have two 80 gallon tanks but my pressure is only 125lbs. The guy I use for the big pieces runs his machine at 175 lbs. He also have a much higher cfs than I do. Your setup will work for very small jobs. Just be patience with the bigger ones.

Thanks for posting.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@goldfishvt Just find an old compressor tank. That is all you really need. You just have to swap over your pump and such to the new tank. Something in the 80 gallon range will do great. You are just running out of air.

• Avenging Angel

Well certainly not convincing as to the ability of it , sculpture looked no different , another blaster I wont be able to buy with confidence in ….Ps aluminium oxide is associated with dementia by the way..

• Kevin Caron, Artist

[email protected] .. I have to agree with you on both counts. I don't use that little gun unless I really have to. Normally I just send it out and have a pro do it for me.

• Avenging Angel

@kevincaron Do you know about the Speed Blaster ?…is that any good ? or just about the same..

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@mannatuu .. just about the same. It's more about the air pressure and volume on hand than the machine. The guy I use runs his machine at 175psi!! Need a bigger compressor I think…

• Kevin Caron, Artist

Thank you for your comments. Kevin is presently out of town and will get back to you as soon as possible.

• LIANI347

I thought you were pretty clever until I saw this video. Where is your mask or respirator.

• Kevin Caron, Artist

@LIANI347 I was just going to get them… Yeah, that's what I was going to do…

My bad. You are quite correct.

Thanks for the slap to the back of the head….

• Kevin Caron, Artist

Read the comment just two down from here….

• gato felix

how much does thar gon cost Kevin???

• Kevin Caron, Artist

It's been a while but I think it was around $10.00 dollars…