Should You Become a Graphic Designer? Is design right for you? Pros & Cons, What to Expect, & more!

Hey everybody, my name is Christine Maggi. Thank you so much for checking out this video. I’ve had this idea for this channel for a
really long time, I’m really excited to finally be doing it. This channel is gonna be geared towards students
or other people who are interested in becoming a designer as a career. I know when I was going to school and when
I was getting my first couple of jobs, there was a lot I didn’t know about working in the
industry. And I really like sharing that knowledge with
people who are interested in the industry or trying to break into it, students who are
studying to become designers: this is for you! So for this first video I wanted to start
out with more of a general overview about what it’s like to be a designer: should you
be one? What kinds of things do you need to become
a designer and is it the right career path for you? I didn’t really know exactly what the day-to-day
would be like when I was a student studying design. But now that I’ve had seven or so years under
my belt of working in design, I kind of know a little bit about what it takes and what
the day to day is gonna look like for you. The first thing you need to know is exactly
what is design. Now I know there has been books written on
this and there could be tons and tons of stuff to say here, but basically design is solving
a problem in a meaningful way. Probably the #1 misconception about design
is that it’s just “making things pretty.” And while there are some aspects to making
design visually appealing, that’s really only the top layer of design. It goes much deeper than that. Ultimately, what matters is if it solves a
problem. Another thing design is not is art. We need art, we love art, we need to appreciate
beauty and that’s why we love things like music and movies, going to the theater, going
to a gallery and being in awe of these beautiful pieces of art. But that’s not really what design is. Art is something that makes you feel something,
something that’s up for a lot of interpretation. It oftentimes is art for art’s sake. While design can be beautiful, that’s not
the point of it. Design is not art. Similarly, you can’t think of design as something
personal towards you as a designer. You are not creating things for yourself most
of the time it’s for a client or the company you’re working for. You’re not designing things just because you
like them. You’re actually solving problems on behalf
of another person or another company. In order to be a designer, you really need
to be able to put yourself aside, think in terms of the ultimate viewer, the audience,
or the user that’s gonna be using the design, looking at the design, and that’s really who
you’re working for, not yourself. So if you’re thinking about being a designer,
you may be wondering if you need to go to college, if you can teach yourself, if you
can just kind of wing it and see what happens, um, I’ll probably do another video on the
college vs. self-taught idea, but basically, as long as you’re getting education somewhere,
you need that. Most people who are designers have some kind
of innate, just raw talent. But, you do need to refine your technical
skills, uh, in order to be a successful, professional designer. So whether that’s through school, through,
um, a design or art program in college, or by, uh, teaching yourself through online videos
or from books, taking classes here and there. So as long as you have something, I think
you can be successful, but you do need some sort of design education. If you’re gonna be a designer, there are certain
things you have to be really into. Because, hey, if this is what you’re gonna
do every day, you might as well like it. So obviously, number 1, you have to love design. You have to love the theories behind design,
the reasons for design… you have to really value it. If you don’t value design, you’re not gonna
convince a client to value your design. So it really has to be something in you that
you truly believe in and understand and can hopefully convey that through your work and
to clients. You also have to love helping people solve
real problems. These problems may not be something you personally
relate to. I know I’ve had many projects for clients
that are in an industry completely outside of what I’m interested in. But at the end of the day, it was my job to
learn from them, see what their world was like so that I could, in turn, be empathetic
toward their audience, their users, and design something for them, even though it may not
be something I would ever normally come across. You kind of have to be able to get outside
of yourself and really understand that you are doing a service for a client, not yourself,
and be ok with it. Another thing you have to really like to do
in order to be a designer is to enjoy the creative process. The majority of your time is going to be sitting
down, usually by yourself, taking every step of the creative process all the way through. Design is a job, and you have to put in the
hours. So if you don’t love the actual process of
doing design, maybe you shouldn’t be a designer. Ok, now I want to go into some pros and cons
about being a designer. So the first con kind of goes along with what
I just went over, which is the creative process. And sometimes there are times where you just
hit that wall, that creative block and it’s really hard to get new ideas because you’ve
been sitting down for too long or you’ve been staring at your computer too long. Yeah, creative block is real. Another thing, which I also kind of went over,
is that you’re working for other people, not necessarily yourself. And if you love design just for the aspect
of creating things that you personally find beautiful and appealing and that you love
it because it’s your personal signature style going out into the world, that’s awesome. But, for the most of us, we are doing design
on behalf of other people, and, you know, not everyone likes that. Alright, so now to the pros of being a designer. First of all, you get to use your own creativity
and in using that innate gift that you have of seeing things and seeing systems and wanting
things to be useful and better looking and more successful. Using that and applying that to actual problems
in the real world. It’s really satisfying when you’ve completed
a design and then it either goes to print or the website goes live or the app goes to
the app store and people are actually seeing it and using it and solving the problem that
you set out to solve. It’s a really satisfying thing knowing that
you’re helping people do something that they couldn’t do before. That’s a really cool part about design. Being able to affect real change in people’s
everyday lives. Another pro which I personally love is that
the design industry tends to be pretty laid back, um, we’re obviously a more creative,
progressive, fun field and so a lot of office environments are really casual. Another pro is that the design community is
awesome. I’ve met so many cool people just in different
networking events, different clubs I’ve joined. Everyone’s just super cool and laid back. I don’t know if it’s like that in other industries,
but I really like how tight-knit the design industry seems to be. Another thing I want to go over is what to
expect in your sort of day-to-day life as a designer. If you teach yourself design, or if you go
to school, they don’t necessarily teach you what to expect, um, just like an average day
on the job. So, I wanted to kind of go over that. Although a lot of the time is spent doing
the creative process, whether it’s sketching, or mocking up a full design comp, or making
revisions on a design, there’s also gonna be some regular office stuff. So, whether that’s emailing your clients,
meetings with your client, especially in the beginning of the process, you definitely need
to meet with your client, whether that’s in person or over a phone call or video call. If you work in-house for a company where you’re
designing for that company, you still need to meet with people who are gonna be signing
off on the design, people that are asking for the design. There is still gonna be some of that relationship
building on the job. Sometimes you may be in the thick of the creative
process and just sketching and sketching and sketching, coming up with a bunch of ideas
and throwing everything together, maybe making an inspiration board. But there may be some other days where you’re
doing some stuff that’s not quite as exciting. So that could be something as simple as resizing
a design that you did for another application. For example, if I designed an ad for one magazine,
well now we wanna use that same design in a different magazine and their page size is
slightly larger or smaller. Or, uh, I may take my design I did for a website
on a phone and now I need to make that work on a desktop. Those are the more menial tasks that I do
find are a good bit of what you do. It’s not all coming up with new ideas and
really getting down to the nitty-gritty of the design problem at hand, but there’s other
smaller, less exciting things that you’re also gonna have to do on the job. And sometimes it’s honestly nice to be able
to do something that doesn’t require as much, um, creative thinking and, um, you know, sometimes
it’s nice to just have a break and let your mind just kind of numb out for a while. Just kind of nice to have that mix. So with all of this I hope you know more about
what it takes to be a designer, what you can expect working as a designer in the industry. Thank you guys so much for watching. If you like this video please give it a thumbs-up,
I’d really appreciate it. I’m just starting out. I’m really hoping to make this a bigger channel. I’m gonna have videos on all kinds of things
related to working in design, um, how to find a job, what people are looking for in an interview,
what types of careers are there for designers, how to get your foot in the door, how to get
in the tech industry if you’re traditionally trained in graphic design, all kinds of stuff. I’m really excited to share, so if you’re
interested I’d love it if you would subscribe. Otherwise, hopefully you’ll find me again,
and can’t wait to talk to you next time. Thank you so much, bye!

• Madhavan

saw all your videos, keep making videos…..thanks

• Shumi Perhiniak

Hey, your doing great! I would love to see your top 5 female graphic designers or other females that inspire you and not the usual Jessica Walsh (who is amazing but she's a celebrity so it's not a good comparison for us normal creatives)

• Cameron Bowen

This is great stuff! This will be so valuable to kids in high school or college. Keep it up!

• Liam Richards

Awesome content Christine! Helped me a lot 🙂

• Design Tuts

Hello Guys
    If you search unique concepts ideas to Graphic design . You’ve come to the right place.
    Here is Advance Photoshop And Illustratore Tutorial,
    dont forget to subscribe me at:

• Naikey Lenescat

Hey girl ! I love your videos. You have truly helped me find my career path even though I was nervous and I don’t know anything yet I am excited!

• Ice23Breaker

You said that to be a designer one needs innate talent + technical education. I think that practice and education is what makes a designer and not their talent. Yes, it is easier if you intuitively know what looks good, but everybody can learn that if you are willing to put in the effort.

• BARi•••

thanks for the dope video

• Bromieomie J.K

This video helped me. I not too long graduated from high school and had no idea what to do with my life. But ever since I was young I love drawing, making collages and now editing and photo shopping. I think I'm going into the graphic design industry.

• Sylver

From watching your video, design sounds less intimidating than I thought :>

• sohel rana

your information is so help full

• Daisy Lune

one question, how long does it normally take to create a logo. Do you get a few days or is it like a new design everyday type thing?

• J R

Informative video, thanks!

• JT Saiyan

What skills do you need? Illustrator, flash, etc?

• NotCam

great video! thank you.

• Briland Family

• JustAlissa

I am scared I am not creative or talented enough to go into design. Does anyone else feel this way?

• Natasha

Hey, this video was helpful. But I have one question, I'm afraid that I'm not good in drawing nor am I interested in drawing but I'm good in other aspects of this field. So is drawing necessary for this field?
    Please reply. Thanks 🙂

• Jehovanny Garcia

I think a graphic designer can be an artist though. Just not all the time but they can be.

• Mohammad Javad Sadeghi Negad

Not useful?

• Reagan Fields

this is hands down the most informative video i have ever watched. i’ve been so stressed trying to decide if design is the right career path for me and your video has 100% calmed my nerves!!! thank you so much ♥️

• CallMeJennyy

I took web design for 3 years in high school and liked it, but by the third year I had realized that I liked the design aspect rather than the coding/constructing part. I’m thinking of going to college for graphic design and to hopefully get a bachelors. I already have my AA so I would need to transfer, but do you recommend any colleges that offer a bachelors in graphic design? I’ve done some research and it’s sort of hard because a lot of them are either online, private, or only offer it as a certificate/AA or as a minor (at least on the West Coast). I guess what I should ask, is if it makes a difference if you have a bachelors in graphic design vs an AA in graphic design, or a graphic design certificate.

• Phoenix MH83

My fear is getting a job where the creative director ask me to do something I dont know how to do. I do graphic design and motion graphics at the moment. I graduate next year

• Midnight Mist

This was extremely helpful! I really wish to become a graphic designer. I have a burning question I really want to find the answer to. You mentioned realationship building, I am an extremly shy person, would an introvert be okay in this kinda career?

• Lazy Goonz

I want to step tnto Graphic Designing and this video simplified some basics , thanks a lot. Can you suggest me what other options are there for Graphic designers other than designing logos and UI/UX ?

• Always Dr3aming

I would say my main question is this: would I be able to do graphic design and make a decent living off of it and provide for a family? I understand that when you're first starting out that you're not going to make all that much cash flow. I also understand that most beginner graphic work is freelance. I totally want to get into graphic design and I'm also interested in learning animation and multimedia in general. However, I'm concerned that I will not be able to do the kind of work I'm interested in and be able to make enough money alone to support a wife and 2+ kids in the future. I'm only 19 but I want to make a smart decision here. Anyone have any kind of advice they could give me? Thanks! 🙂

• Jacob Tran

Thank you so much. I went back to watch this video and take it seriously. This is what college failed to address. And should pay for people like you to help.

• Carolyn Harper

Great topics. Smile more and get more animated in front of the camera.

• Carolyn Harper

How to land that first job would be a biggie for me. I'm willing to relocate anywhere to get some experience (except for NYC).

• ime bre

Thank you very much for this video. I found that all those things suit me. I just have one question, that's really important for me, so I would be really gratefull if someone would answer me: is it late to go to studies in design when I'm 22? 🙂

• Rex Art

I wm interested

• Arunava Rakshit

Design is not art? I beg to disagree. I believe design is a form of art with a specific purpose.

• Creative Professor

Hey, Christine Maggi, How is going everything? I'm also motion graphic designer if need any help just knock me. Thanks

• Delano King

Annoying voice lol but good video !

• Poco Loco

Hey..love your vids!!I would want to become a graphic designer that works for companies who need me to design a logo or something that makes me use graphic design. What software would I need to graphic design and what computers or laptops do I need to help me graphic design???Last but not least, what classes can I take at highschool for graphic design??

• MEOWalina

thank you so much for this 🙂 i'm interested in graphic design but i am heavily leaning toward studying illustration. i'm having a hard time choosing which to study because i've heard that design jobs are easier to come by and have more options for different jobs. however, i love to draw and my dream is to create art that is my own style, maybe make some comic books or childrens books, and sell my art printed on products and clothing/etc. at this point i'm thinking i should study illustration and squeeze in some design classes (in my uni and/or online), since i feel like learning basic design will be valuable in doing the things i want to do.
    ~

• KaMo

Perfect job for an INFJ personality type. They want to help others, they can be creative and they have great communication skills despite being an introvert. Do you agree?

• Majacks Lelo

Thank you?

• Kheerah Vernitha Kyster

Hey Design Gal, Im Kheerah 18 year old matriculant, I take art as a subject but the deadlines always frustrate me and make me sick (you prolly think I should get more organized) but it's something that comes naturally for me. I just wanted to say thank you so much for this video it truly has given me an insight to the career and has helped me alot with regards to choosing graphic design as a career choice.

• Rosemary Park

Do I need to have excellent drawing skills before joining a design program?

I've taken a Basic Design class in high school my senior year and took art seriously and did fantastic. I've taken couple of art classes at my community college and struggled as I advanced. I took 2D design first which was my favorite because it had a lot of acrylic painting. I did decent in Drawing 1 but not great. I had interest in 3D Design and Ceramics, but I realized I'm not a sculptor and basically failed.

I enjoy art as a hobby, but I don't think I have the perseverance to pursue art and finish things on a deadline. I consider my drawing skills as a beginner. I don't think I'm good enough to do an arts major. I've been out of school for a while so I might need to retake some classes and work on my skills.

• Yudistiv Reedye

Graphic Design is Solving Problems, with a lot of imaginative thinking.

I'd say its an artistic way of solving a problem.

• Mugly Mae

I saw the pros and cons and I'm still obsessed with knowing more about it. How did you find out design was what you wanted to do? Was it a gut feeling or a realization during a particular class?

• vatch

it is hell

• Argus Core

Isn't design just organized and planned art?

• Valerie Finnel

Wow this video was so helpful for me. I've been told by a personality analization test that I should be a graphic designer and I've been nervous about starting something new, but I wanted to have an option in life were I can have more freedom to work from home and to earn income. Of the careers listed that I would be suited for graphic design was the most appealing.

• Chris Young

If you have studied Graphic design in college/university or self-taught you should know it is categorised as commercial art and design is as much as provocative as art in galleries it is as about creating emotion, form, composition and communicating ideas as well as function on a commercial level the only difference you are doing it for clients. And yes, design is about solving a problem, whether it be visual or 3D or both.

• Munif A.

Any one watching things and trying to get into graphic design…
    Don't.

Here's why:

1) No big career progression
    2) Pay is sub par
    3) The job position is not flattering, especially when you're in your late 30s, all your friends are now senior managers and directors and your're a "Graphic designer".
    4) Clients are the fucking worst. There's no "Right and wrong" like with other jobs. It all depends on what the client feels like. One day he/she wants something, the next they're feeling something else
    5) Clients and people try to get you to do things for free all the time and try to convince you that "Oh it's just a small logo. Takes you 10 minutes." I low key wanted to shoot some of my clients.
    6) Every ass wipe with a macbook and photoshop calls himself a designer, so for every job there are a little over 10 thousand "designers". Companies don't even skim through all of them. They just look at the first 30 and pick the best one, even though an amazing designer could be number 100 on the list.
    7) The work hours are… Hectic. I mean hectic. Forget work life balance. One day you will work 2 hours and sit 6 hours waiting for work…And the next you are working 16 hours with no breaks, no over time, nothing. I've had days where I literally woke up, started working, ate while working, and went to bed with only 1 10 minute break to take a shit.

And no, I am not trying to shoo you away because I am trying to "preserver my job". Don't worry. I left that career behind me and enlisted in the armed forces.

For the love of god, please listen to me and don't get into graphic design.

• Ashish3saxena

You really helped me. I'm about to start Graphic Designing.
    Thank you. And Subscribed ?

• miehack hd

This video is amazing, I agree with everything you said, Thanks for making it!!

• Jessica Sanz

idk how many times you repeated that design is for clients and not yourself.

• Iliya 3600

I've never been much of an artsy person, never had an interest in drawing, I don't look at art in detail as much as a passionate painter would, and I don't think I'm a hugely creative person but I like looking at unique photos, cool architecture and general design such as logos, abstract wallpapers, the way certain clothes are designed and etc. Should I pursue graphic design? Is creativity something you can pick up or is it mostly natural talent?

• Edith A

Um it's not art? Can I differ?

• Yu Li

Such helpful insights thanks!

• kisha potato

May I ask? How much money do you usually receive?

• Architect Galib

Hello,
    Your job post has caught my attention Because I am a Graphic Designer and I’m considering your job for me with these required capabilities. I have done several projects like this . I have confident that I will do your work very well .I hope you would like my work and you will give me a good feedback which is very important for my future career in fiverr.

• Rodrigo E. Terrones Irribarren

Hi. I've been looking for a website with your projects so I can see your graphic design work and give it a like, I'm sure it's great! 😀 can you send me a behance link or so…? 🙂

• Hossam Abdulkareem

I believe the industry pressure need to be mentioned as a con.

1) juggling multiple projects.
    2) finishing projects in less than hour as per the continuous nagging of Art Directors.
    3) Meeting with clients or client servicing who dont know what they want and they want you you discover why they hate what you made without giving you any kind of thread to work on.
    4) A loooooooot of hours of work. So if you value your life think again.
    5) Sadistic Art Directors in some agencies.
    6) Side hustle is a must after long hours at work if you want to pay the bills and practice. Because agencies wont teach you techniques.
    7) Not all companies accept a certain type laid back designer.. it is all about the culture so research before interview or work.
    8) Very competitive environment and the market is saturated with designers who will take your job in cheaper salaries.. so you better start finding a good market value.. something unique in you.

Good job on this video. However I believe the above is the honest truth of the design world

• eliptikos tikos

Very good video and very good advice for new designers please tell something for competitions thanks

• Ивито G

I am a graphic designer,I was studying art for 5 years from now 🙂 I believe that graphic designer it's some form of art,even tho minimalistic 🙂 If you ask random person on the street to do your logo (person who is not into art) and he will probably show you something really unproffecionall and that's becouse he doesn't have anything to do with art 🙂 I believe that you need artistic mind for it ,now I am artist,digital artist and graphic designer 🙂 kisses,thank you for your perspective 🙂

• Ивито G

If there is no art in graphic designing ,then there will be no graphic designers…Everybody will do the work by themself

• Kat Fung

I like how authentic you shared your ideas

• The LifeofCurtis