Sketch vs Figma – Why I switched!

– Design tools, there
are a lot of them, right? And I don’t know about you but I often feel a lot of pressure to keep up with the trends of what everyone else is using in our industry. So I like to try new tools out, just you know see how they function. But for the most part in
my design career so far, I’ve been pretty reluctant
to switch tools completely. I think there’s a big
learning curve that comes with completely learning a new tool and fitting it into your work flow, adapting it to suit how
this new tool works, it’s a big deal, and so I’ve not made too
many major software switches. About four years ago I
made the switch from using Photoshop for web designs to using Sketch and it was an amazing decision, it improved my design work flow immensely. And I have made a video about
my Sketch one on one intro if you are interested in watching that. After four happy years of using Sketch as my web design tool of choice, I’ve recently made the switch to Figma and I wanna tell you why. (slow piano music) So unlike my switch from
Photoshop to Sketch, Sketch and Figma are very similar in that they are both vector based tools, they both have an infinite
canvas where you create like an art board or a frame
and do your design on there, the left hand side has all of the lays and just like what I loved about Sketch, in Figma when you click on an element the right hand panel adapts to fit what the properties are that you can change for the element itself. So all in all, as you
can see, fairly similar, but with Figma I’ve noticed
a lot of really small details that have been worth it
for me to make the switch. I first started using
Figma when another designer on our team was using Figma for a project and shared a link with
me to give feedback on it and so that I could copy
some elements from it. I absolutely love that in
Figma you can just share a link with someone and they can
have access to the project to comment on it, to start
editing it themselves, to copy elements from it into their own project of their own, I love the collaboration aspect of Figma. With Sketch if felt more like
I would have to send the files to someone via Slack to open
up on their own computer and it meant then if I made changes that person’s file would be out of date. So in a team setting, those
collaboration features of Figma were what I first
really liked about it. As I was using it I started
noticing little things like if you delete all the
elements from within a group, the group itself would
disappear because obviously it’s not a group anymore
if there’s nothing in it. Really small thing but I would
find that my Sketch files would get quite messy with
lots of groups where I’d removed elements from them or whatever but the group still existed. Another nice touch is in the color picker, you can use your arrow
keys to make your color lighter or darker based on
the one that’s already there. I thought that was such a cool feature and really came in handy for me when I was creating our
brand color palette. Another thing is layers
and moving them around. I felt like in Sketch I
was always having to find the layer that I wanted and
shift it up in the layers panel because I could never remember
what the short key was for moving a layer forward or backwards. I love that in Figma it is just the same as it is in Photoshop,
it’s command and a bracket, it’s a super easy, short key to press, and it makes it really fast
to be rearranging layers as you’re designing something. And I like that in their menus as well, they show what the short key
is in case you’ve forgotten. That’s not something that
Sketch do and so that’s why I’d always forget what the key for moving something forward or back was, and in the end just go into the layers and move them manually myself. Something else I really like is being able to copy properties. So in Sketch you can copy the properties of a shape or you know
an object or whatever and paste it onto a new
one, but when you do that you’re copying all of the
properties onto the new shape, whereas in Figma you can also
copy all of the properties if you want to but you could
also just copy the fill or perhaps just the
font or just the stroke. It means if you’ve got
something right in one place, it’s super easy to just
apply it to other things. You can comment on files in Figma too, which has been really
handy again for working across a team and giving
feedback to each other. I know a lot of in house
marketing or product designers might sometimes share the
Figma file with stakeholders and get them to leave comments that way but personally I still
prefer using something like Envision for that because I feel like then people are seeing the design
like full width in a browser in it’s intended state rather
than being able to zoom out and see all the art boards at once, but that was just personal
preference of mine and how I like to give and get feedback. But all in all the commenting
feature is really handy. And then possibly the best
part is Figma is free. With Sketch you pay for a
license and I think you get a year’s worth of updates
on that license and then you stay on that version, the
last version that you had until you wanna upgrade
again to get new versions. With Figma you don’t even
need to pay for it at all. They do have like professional
team accounts or whatever for if you want more projects,
a bit more functionality, but all of the things that you need to do, to design a webpage, you can do in the free version of Figma, which I think is really cool and a great contribution
to design in general. Another great thing is you can use it whether you’re on a Mac or a PC. So for all those people who keep asking me if there’s a Sketch alternative for PC, Figma is now my answer. So while there are a lot
of good things about Figma, there are also some things that took me awhile to get used to and that I’m still not so sure about. One of them is the way that frames resize. The automatic state of it is
that if you expand the frame, it will try and like auto
resize the content in it and as a web designer
that is not something that I always want to have happen. For example, I will lay
out a frame but perhaps I haven’t made it quite long
enough for all the content I need to lay out on this
webpage so I drag it down and then all of my content goes to shit. There are ways around this like
you can hold the command key as you’re expanding it outward
and everything will stay exactly where it is but that just took a little bit of
getting used to for me. Something that I struggled with at first, but now I really like, is the
way that Figma handles images. In Sketch I just drag an
image in and that was it, it was like a bitmap image
block that I could then double click on to crop and you know change saturation, things like that. In Figma when you drop an
image in, it actually makes it like a rectangle with
an image as the fill, so if you want to crop it, if you want to tile it or whatever, you just come into the fill settings and make your changes in there. So that was a little
bit confusing at first but it’s actually really
handy because I would find that in Sketch a lot of the time I would be making a whole bunch of masks to get my image to be the right size. So it’s much easier to do
that if the image is already, when you put it in, a fill of a shape. Another thing is the way
that Figma handles vectors. So Sketch has notoriously
not been great at vectors, there are options and
you can do most things but I would find myself,
for the most part, going into Illustrator. And in fact, I saw this
Tweet the other day that I thought was
hilarious and very accurate. Figma handles vectors in
a completely different way to what I’ve seen before. They use what they call vector networks. In usual vector programs, a
point can really only have two connections to it, but in
Figma you can have multiple. And it means you can
create complex shapes, it just takes a little
bit of getting used to the way that it works,
but so far I’ve found that I can do most
things that I need to do in Figma without needing
to open Illustrator. Then the last frustrating
point that I’ve experienced so far is that Figma is
actually a web based tool so it runs in your browser
or it does have a Mac app as well so you can essentially
use that browser window but have it as like an icon. This is my first concern and main reason for not trying it sooner
is that I do a lot of work without the internet. Like say I’m in a cafe
and the connection is bad, I might just not even
connect it to the WiFi, or say I’m on a plane for example, and actually wanna be able
to work on my designs. So you can access projects
offline on Figma if you’re using the Mac app and you have the tab open before you go offline. So once you’re offline you
can’t open up a project and edit it from there
but you can keep editing any projects that you already have open. So that is definitely a downside, it means that you have
to remember to open it before you get on the plane, before you go to that cafe without WiFi. But so far for me the
positive qualities of Figma far outweigh this one
and so I haven’t found that trade-off a bad thing yet. In making the switch I
found the learning curve a lot easier than the Photoshop to Sketch learning curve was, that
was quite difficult for me. But like I said, Figma and
Sketch are pretty similar in the way they work, it’s
just that Figma has these little things that make the
experience better for me. So I’ve actually found
myself having nice surprises as I go about my process and
find easier ways to do things. To make the switch also
you can import Sketch files into Figma and they will convert them into a Figma file for you. What you can’t do is
copy an element in Sketch and then paste it into Figma, doesn’t work that way
unfortunately which has been a little frustrating
because it’s meant sometimes I’ve imported a whole big
project with like you know 20 different iterations of an art board just because I wanted this one element to copy into a Figma file but hey ho. So to wrap up, I would say
that if you’re a Sketch user, it is definitely worth giving Figma a try. I’ve found that all these
small little improvements have sped up my design work flow, just made things easier for me, enough that it has a real
impact on the work that I’m getting done at the end of the day and that’s what’s important to me. The switch is fairly new for
me so I’m sure that I will learn more about the tool and have more nice little
surprises to share with you as I go about using it more
and learning those things. But for now I’m really
happy with the switch and I’m not missing Sketch at all. I wanna be clear too
that I don’t think Sketch is a bad tool by any means, Sketch worked perfectly for me for years and it’s just that now I find
that Figma suits me better. At the end of the day the
best design tool is the one that you find fast and easy to use, and the one that you
feel most confident with. I know that we designers love
to talk about tools though so I hope that you’ve enjoyed watching this video and
hearing my thoughts. I wanna hear what design
tool you use for web design, what’s your go to at the moment, what have you tried out in the past and not got on with so well. Tell me about it down
below in the comments, let’s have a chat down there. If you’re new to my channel as well, then I make new design
videos every single week so hit the subscribe button and I would love to have
you back for the next one. All right, I hope you have a good day no matter what design tool you’re using, go create some good stuff and I’ll see you in the next video, bye. (slow piano music)

• Raslan Ismail

you can't make good animation with figma like Sketch, so please be honest

• Raslan Ismail

This is a challenge for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omBp53UHw1I

• CJ Jean

Love your channel!!! Do you know of a workaround way to get XD files to Figma?

• Karol Rządczyk

Hmm, a lot of those great FIGMA features are in Sketch like having image as a fill without masking. Maybe you did not know Sketch to much?

• Christyn Pienaar

INVISION STUDIO – HYPE 3 PRO – ADOE XD – Figma is a joke – no offline lol whatever – Event photoshop ARTOARDS is better than this, SKETCH has always been a dumb option compared to whats out there

• Катя Короленко

What about components?:) It is really the best Figma feature, I think. Because in Sketch symbols work quite strange.

• Davide Paterniti

Sketch nowdays is "STANDARD" like PSD before. Anyway i feel much better working with Sketch

• airscrew1

Ever used pen and paper?

• Shahbaz

Best Design tools a designer should need to learn in my opinion:
    Sketch
    Ilustrator
    Photoshop

• Nicholas Zein

PS isn't and never was a web design prototyping tool. I really can't understand why people keep using it to web design, or any layout design for that matter. It's meant to edit photos…

• Sharon Pothan

Been using Sketch for a while now but seeing that Figma is free & collaboration friendly- I’m sold!

• TheCHKMaking

XD IS THE BEST! The story is going to repeat (Photoshop vs QuarkXPress)

• Lu Tapuch

FIGMA, as far as I am able to dig in, it doesn't have modifier access to symbols. The ability to modify a symbol in the middle of a big production is quite important, especially when you are working with repeating elements. This to me is a deal breaker.

• stormfrog

Figma sounds interesting. Am I the only one that cant see any use what so ever for "multiplay" feature? Simultaneous users in a document was stupid in Google Docs, its equally stupid in Figma. When I do design I need to be closed off from other people, opinions, feedback etc. I would never be able to enter my creative mode if I knew someone else was designing in the same document as me.

• Migue Turner

Dany kino?, Eres tú?

• Adeel Khan

What do you think about XD, currently i am in between Figma and XD, hopefully i'll decide soon 😀 😛

• Adam Coppock

Great video – Thanks! Would you go back to Sketch and have you missed plugins?

• Mike Savoff

Sketch does an amazing job for me especially since I'm not even a designer. I use it to create social media / blog images and I'm just starting to learn app design, but I find everything to be so intuitive in there that it feels like the app is doing it for you. ALTHOUGH, the one thing that makes it difficult for me to progress faster is that it's limited to Mac, so I think Figma really makes a lot of sense when it comes to learning design at home on the PC when I actually have the time for it and not being pressed by work/office deadlines. Thanks for the detailed review, really helped me know the next steps getting closer to maybe calling myself a designer one day. 🙂

• jbcbusu

I gave Figma a try, and there were more cons than pros. Far, more and overall it needs a lot more polish.

• Dara Toh

I'm in the middle of a transition right now and trying out Figma (a bit late to the game but better late than never). This was really helpful and also pointing out certain things I haven't noticed yet, so thank youuuuuu, i appreciate this so much!

• Ferdian Wisnukendra Mesepy

I feel the same as your experience. Figma it's my first design tool on my first world of designing android app. And it feel amazing and fantastically awesome tool. I can understand way much easier. And yes most I like about Figma is FREE. Awesome!

• Brad Yalo

123 subs and 123 views

• Adya Prajana

is it figma or sketch can use in windows 7 or 10 ?

• Nazmul Ahmed Riyadh

I like your conversation. It helps me a lot. Thanks.

• random joe

I used to use Photoshop now Figma.

• Eric Rounds

You’ve sold me on Figma.

• Hussein Shibghotulloh

How about Adobe XD? Have you ever tried it?

• popeye2mil

Gravit designer is a great alternative for sketch

• La Porta D

I love sketch, but it's too analytical. The numbers are anxiety inducing too.

• Philly J

1. Figma
    2. Sketch
    3. XD
    4. Photoshop

Figma out-weights all other design software by far, in every single category. Also the fact that Sketch only works on Mac products is absolutely idiotic and they've shot themselves in the foot for it, because now Figma will just take that spot.

The fact that i can work on my PC in Figma, once i get tired i can open my mac book pro and continue in bed with the same project is absolutely amazing! No files or anything to have to deal with. Oh you forgot to update something for the client but you've already sent it? no worries! just update your Figma file and their link will also be updated.

Sketch is awful in so many ways, and i hate that it has become an industrial standard which only works on Mac.

Luckily it seems the world is noticing Figma, as they just got another funding round of 40 Million,, Yay!! long live Figma, go kill Sketch, and while your at it XD and Photoshop as well 🙂

• Clint McKoy

Great review. Thanks so much for sharing! Keep it coming. 🙂

• La Porta D

The best feature is vector networks.

• Le gars d'à côté

Is it possible to use a color swatch and a ui items library on figma like it is possible in axure rp ?

• Taki Eddin

I still prefer ligma.

• Anthony

Hello, I'm a graphic designer but I'm focusing on web design, for which I use photoshop, I've been far behind but now I have the initiative to educate myself more and learn to use more tools to improve my productivity as a web designer, you advise me to spend from photoshop to figma? or learn to use sketch before? I hope you can answer and advise me, thank you very much.

• Andre Ramadhan

lol

• Ashley Elliott

Might have to try this Figma out. Recently made the switch from Photoshop to Adobe XD and seeing a massive improvement with my workflow. But this Figma looks interesting. Decisions, decisions…

• Oserefemhen Ativie

I'm also making the switch to Figma, from Photoshop though! Love the way Figma makes UI design features quickly accessible.

• Dragiboom

is Sketch now Adobe Xd ?

• Nicole Lambon

A friend and I recently decided to give Figma a go after having used Sketch for several years now. My only gripe, besides the Frame one that you mentioned, is the bounding box on text. It doesn’t sit flush with the bottom or top of the text, so one has to manually resize the bounding box to have it fit, otherwise text sits wrong on eg a button when aligned using the align tools. I have also found that often my frame doesn’t display the entire frame in the prototype preview mode.

• fandom freak

the title made it sound very serious

• Kanakaraju Naidu Thota

Supper 🤩

• Mustapha Amraoui

from a UI/UX designer perspective, the tools I use are depending on the clients, some of them want a .psd, others .xd or .sketch. but usually, I use sketch (if I have to choose), I have all the shortcuts set on my gaming mouse and it super fast and straightforward. I start using xd too for the new prototyping tools (auto-animate etc). I never tried Figma and it's the occasion to do so, thx for the video

• A Mouratoglou

I loved Figma…its really nice.

• Paul Holliday

Just switched to Figma. The ability to work collaboratively and remotely with teams is the killer feature. I've switched the team over now. I would use the installable app instead of the web tool purely for the power aspect.

• Anat Ganot

thanks for this great video!. question: today i upload my sketch files to invision for clients to see the designs. what's the alteravitve when you work with Figma?

• Kevin van den Hoek

Ive been using Ligma for years now and it has never failed me once

• Zombie Rofl

Affinity software. Enough said.

• Andrzej

I recently switched to Sketch (as this is the company main tool) and in many cases, it was a pain in the ass 😉 Need to convince them to Figma. The reasons are like you said – Figma is a totally online tool, you don't need a native app and can collaborate easily by just sharing a link. And free as well 🙂

• Erik Gloor

Thank you for this video! I'm a huge Figma fan. Prefer working on PCs and dislike the single-platform restriction of Sketch. I would add to this comparison the fact that you can make in-device clickable prototypes with Figma using 'Figma Mirror.' I overview this feature in my portfolio >> https://gloorux.com/product-design-2019

• Roshan Deshapriya

XD is good but still, buggy, no text justification, no layer blending so far Figma gives all out of the box and good integration for Zaplin and Avcode.

• Ivan Sakoman

Sketch for me works well. Figma becomes slow when you have too many elements.

• Ioan P

Why not use XD, it opens Sketch source file, Photoshop source files and integrates with After Effects, it's got built in prototyping and you can share files and collaborate…it's not that buggy and it just works:) From the looks of Figma is copying a few of the elements that XD launched with. One more final point: XD has built in red line specs and asset export for developers, this is incredible for mobile especially when you have to export out Android assets:) focus on improving your design thought process not the switching tools because some hipsters use Paint:)

• Rohit Sharma

Thanks, Charli! That was super helpful.

• Rami James

How much did Figma pay you for this?

• Bert Sagi

what about plugins? Power users use a lot of plugins. I don't know feels like the poor mans sketch. Conversion and font issues ahhh Figma is no sketch.

• theara av

Charli Marie, how you made your intro?

• Scott Moyse

Tough call between this & Adobe Xd. Interesting product.

• Alston Lloyd

Figma balls?

• Marvin Criste

4Me, the main reason to choose Figma is work as FrontEnd Developer on Linux …

• Phil Dias

I'm new to your channel. You have a nice engaging personality.
    New to Adobe xd on Windows 10. Found it had too many bugs and lack of support online. Gave figma a go. Won't look back.

• Victor Stelmasuk

Thanks Charli! Very useful video as I'm considering other alternatives to the Sketch + Abstract + InVision triad. I work a lot with mockup data though (for big lists) and use JSON to generate them straight from our database. Does Figma have something like this? How would you create a page with 100 users + info?

• ne matrix

Adobe XD is my love

• Madera

By the time Sketch decide to release a window version no one will give a crap about it.

• Helder Cervantes

Tried both, fell in love with Affinity Designer

• foodiusmaximus

Sketch is now available on Windows as Lunacy

• Julian Perez

That advantages you mention has Figma over Sketch are the same features that I like from Adobe xD. However, today I was looking for a free alternative because license expired and finally your video help me to know more about Figma. Thanks!

• attila bodi

nice vid. i like figma. feel like XD is the future

• Josh Gilbert

Canva all the way! lol

• Sea Rich

Just the sharing.

• Simon Ferndriger

What about Figma VS Adobe XD?

• Anu Tuyi

There's the figma app for windowsss!!!

• Alpha Nemesis

I use Figma <3 & it's truly amazing software.. 4.7K liker 🙂

• Captain Serkan

Love love love Figma! Made me fall in love with design again!

• Connor_King

What about xd?

• Constructive Bytes

Two big no no with figma, subscription based and browser based. Hard pass lol.

• Rakin Wahed

Sketch does have pretty handy plugin both free from sketch resources and ui8 for paid versions which I believe figma can't tackle

• Mark de Muze

I'm new and find this a very exciting tool indeed!
    2 months ago I finished a required Adobe training but already I'm looking for alternatives that get the job done, just as or easier, and without the subscription model Adobe products require.
    So Big Thanks for creating and sharing this video and keep up the good work!

• Haider Ali

disagree with you lady

• BearkFear

Try adobe xd too. It’s the same of adobe photoshop but free and better. Works fine and you can share as you want and run on your smartphone and mor

• Josh Jen

I’m actually in love with XD!

• Ritesh Niranjan

How to rotate an object from different pivot point. for example creating clock and then rotate by changing pivot point to top.

• Kristina Lawson

Thank you so much for the info. My team is thinking of moving to Figma and hearing about the collaboration ease with Figma is the biggest pro for us.

• Mortaza Zargar

I was searching for a prototyping tool and the more search it did the more I convinced to use Figma.

• Nguyễn Minh Tuân

Figma stupid sometime. Not good support. A better thing is collaboration feature.

• andrew jeglum

Great video. Informative and concise. Thanks!

• Neithan

Photoshop a design tool? Comeeeeon. From Adobe it's Illustrator and XD

• Sab Sab

I am happy with figma. Also changed from sketch to figma lol

• Manny Donaire

I like both Figma and Sketch. I'm just so used to Figma and it's used by a lot of companies(a lot of other companies are using Figma too). I will start using Figma more just to keep up with 'trends'. if you put 2 exact designs (1 done in sketch, the other in Figma, noone could tell the difference fyi)

• Pavel Fiss

The only one strong point for me was, that Figma works also for Windows user (it was my reason why I moved from Win to Mac). I don't see really strong reason to move from Sketch. It's more sounds like holly wars for me. BMW vs Mercedes, Apple vs Android, Mac vs Win.. and now Sketch vs Figma 🙂 imho

• Kramez

Lol making icons in sketch is like playing video games on the hard settings

• mosabil

Why i love figma
    0. Free
    1. We can edit .sketch file on figma
    2. live colaboration
    3. Don't need to share the files to my team, just give em the link
    4. Small : around 50mb.
    5. Cross platform, also available in browser which mean no need to download
    6. We can Edit photos Filter exposure saturation etc Straight on figma, no need Photoshop for minor edits.

• Manel Manel

hi any free website to learn ui design ??

• Fred Vandaele

I fall in love with Figma and switched with no regrets 🙂 BTW, you can save your file locally as .fig file AND plugins are also there to spice up the tool

• Olivier L

Is there any "reduce file size" in figma? Very useful in sketch

• Ala Eddine Menai

I'm big fan of linux but when I would install invision it required windows system , so I wanna move to Figma Desktop app for linux , is it free like invision ?

• Facundo Giménez

Adobe XD is an alternative for those but in the creative cloud? I've recently downloaded it because I'm anting to improve some web design skills…

• Latin Dance Videos

Just discovered figma, still looking for a workflow to export/create html. Even my designer friends admit defeat.

• Mirza A. Baig

Charli are you still happy with Figma? I am thinking to switch to it, as it seems faster than Sketch. Let me know your thoughts, please.

• Ted Neiger

Easier than importing a large Sketch project into Figma for one element – create a copy of the .sketch file and delete everything EXCEPT the element, and then import that one to Figma.