Stan Winston School LIVE at University of Virginia – The Art of the Moving Creature Course

>>NEWSCASTER: Well new at 11 a creature paraded
around the lawn, invaded the marching band practice
[screams] It’s part of a hands on workshop put on by
the Stan Winston School of Character Arts [Screams]>>MATT WINSTON: To visit a group of people
who are so enthusiastic, it kind of rekindles our own love of this. [pause]
So the University had put together a concept for a year long “Art of the Moving Creature”
course. And George Sampson got in touch with us and
said, “We know Stan’s an alum. Is there any way that you can help support
this effort?” We said, “Are you kidding? Our library is yours. Our artists are yours. Let’s make this happen.”>>TED HAINES: I mean it’s something completely
unbelievable that you have to MAKE believable. It’s just, it’s big and it’s goofy and it’s
fun. Especially for the University. This is a spectacle.>>SHANNON SHEA: At the end of the first day
so much got accomplished. The enthusiasm, the focus, the learning ability
was so impressive. It wasn’t just a relief. Cause a relief would be,’Okay, we’re gonna
be fine.’ It was like ‘Oh my God. LOOK at this.’ I was like, y’know, ‘What do you normally
do?’ ‘Oh, I’m a tech director for theatre.’ ‘What do you normally do?’ ‘Oh, I’m a fine artist.’ ‘What do you do?’ ‘I’m an architecture major.’ And you turn around, they’re monster makers. And really GOOD.>>STEVEN WARNER: What they’re getting out
of a class like this one is working as a team. A goal gets thrust upon you. Someone says “I need you to do this.” And then you have to get the energy and the
enthusiasm about someone else’s product, and then have it realized in full scale.>>MELISSA GOLDMAN: I mean one of the great
things about the class is its interdisciplinary nature. Getting all these students out of the studio
of the building that they’re in and getting them to work together.>>MARGARET “PEGGY” BRENNAN: I mean you get
to build creatures. You get to actually get in there and build
something. And now that people are seeing this, all my
friends that didn’t take the class are seriously regretting it . They’re like ‘We should’ve
taken this class.’ And I’m like. ‘Hello? I know!’>>EVAN HOWELL: Y’know, all these things that
you might have seen at some point or another but you weren’t sure how they were done. Getting that kind of behind the scenes knowledge
has been just really fantastic.>>MARK “TORPEDO” MOLCHANY: To learn from these
guys who’ve done ALIENS, who’ve done PREDATOR, y’know who’ve done JURASSIC PARK. I mean, when I saw Jurassic Park for the first
time I was absolutely terrified. I wanted to know how the heck they did it. You know? And then, they’re sharing this information
with us. I feel absolutely honored that I get a chance
to listen to it every day.>>TED HAINES: Even if they’re not gonna go
to Los Angeles and build creatures. They’re gonna do something else. They’re gonna go into other stage work and
whatever like that and they’re gonna apply this for the rest of their lives. They’re gonna think back. Doesn’t matter if they’re building a Halloween
costume for their kid twenty years from now. So it’s that experience, that enthusiasm to
build something in the future.>>SHANNON SHEA: These kids, it’s coming to
them. They don’t have to be in Los Angeles. Stan Winston School is coming to them. [Picture taking] [SCREAMS, MUSIC, MONSTER NOISES & LAUGHTER]>>GEORGE SAMPSON: I would hope the students
walk away from this situation with a sense that all things are possible. So it’s not just about the monster. It’s not just about the creature. It’s about the creation of the creature. It’s the process. THAT’S the magic.

• Gmac Sanders

My idols…

• climid

3:33, lost his appetite

• tamokostusks

i'm in Charlottesville right now…too bad i missed out on this!

• kottamalli

lucky them 🙁

• Ann Boo

oh my god, i love it, i wish we in czech republic can do this too, i love your creations, i was watching in school how you was making jursic park and my profesor come to me, he said: that is so cool i didn't know there is human in this body. so amzing 🙂

• Hakimi Rahman

how to apply to enter this school ! i'm really interested please give me the pointer pls 🙂

• Stan Winston School

You CAN! You can start on our web site, shown in the description above. Once you start learning there, let us know where you are and we'll be talking about all sorts of ways to get to you and everyone else we can to build stuff together! -J

• Stan Winston School

Tam~

Sign up for next semester or look for us in February! We'll be back! – J

• Stan Winston School

Annette~
    I would LOVE for us to be able to bring a group of artists to you! Central Europe is beautiful and it would be a BLAST to be back there, sharing monster-making with you. Are you in Prague? -John

• Stan Winston School

Gillete~
    Right now we are ALL ON LINE. See the link in the description above. You can start learning these techniques RIGHT NOW. And we 're just starting in the field of In-Person, Hands-on workshops. Wouldn't THAT be fun?? Where are you? – John

• Stan Winston School

Nereza, we will be adding courses all over the world, soon enough. For now, go to our site and start there. Let us know where you are. Also… tell your fellow monster makers near where you live that this seems like fun. Maybe if there's enough interest, we can all share this experience together before you know it! – John

• Arangarta

I wish you could come all the way to England! I've been such a fan of the company for years now and I've started purchasing the online videos recently! Great stuff and very helpful!

• Stan Winston School

Nereza! Looks like we have to start planning an Ontario trip. Ask around. 🙂 – John

• Stan Winston School

Arangarta~ That's it. I'm bringing it up at the next meeting. You think I'm joking?!? I wanna go to England!! I ain't joking. 🙂 – John

• Dan Jaguar

An international tour would be a great idea, I'm sure there's more than enough people in England, Australia (hint), France etc. who would give their eyeteeth to learn with the SWS.

• TeddyLeppard

That is the coolest thing ever.

• Bebe de Luz

I wanna work there 🙁 god

• Ann Boo

I'm sorry, i was trying to sen you response on your comment, but i totaly lost it.
    yes, i'm from Prague, that would be really cool if there will be something as this
    i love making creatures and monsters

• NerdyGirl223

…….. You don't want my opinion

• XboxTheHedgehog

Have you guys come to Australia at all? Cause im a HUGE fan! I'd love to see this in Sydney :3

• Stan Winston School

We've no plans currently for Down Under, but we're open to it in the future. We just need the invite. You know anyone there who wants to sponsor us? – David

• ana k

Please tell me you're coming to Boston someday!!!(or anywhere in Mass) This is so inspirational !

• Stan Winston School

Thank you Ana. We hope to expand this program to all sorts of places. But in the meantime, you can look for our live webinars for a little bit of that inspirational, interactive love. – David

• joselyn de la torre

i love art and i love making costumes from movies, what do i have to need to apply to this? i'm barely graduating from high school and i'm going to college, but what specific skills do i need to learn to join and do stuff like this?

• Stan Winston School

Joselyn, creature fabrication requires all sorts of skills. Sculpture, painting, mold-making, fabrication, engineering, animatronics, metalwork, etc. The Stan Winston School offers video tutorials and online live lessons in these subjects and more. Check us out when you can. Take care! – David

• Ars Mcvy

i hope stan winston school can open new branches in Malaysia.

• Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Where is this school?

• Stan Winston School

The school is an online school that offers video tutorials and online interactive live lessons for creature creators. – David

• Elena Smith

So jealous

• Joss S

These people are real artists

• Ein Fan

This is truly amazing…some part of me wishes to do in the future believable costumes and bringing my art alive. Here I am now, making a prototype boot out of fabric, duct tape, and a plastic bag.

• Robert Palmore

Great job all.  To add to an already great job, wear all black with hoods.  Looked heavy but also looked you had fun making it and taking it around campus.  Keep up the good work.

• Cristian Mtz Cruz

Hello

• Steven Hulbert

I am jealous as well. Would have loved to be part of that, nothing like this when I attended college

• Dominika Juliette

How I wish you could come to visit our Model Making course at Arts University Bournemouth!!! But of course, we're in UK 🙁 this is amazing. I'm a second year student and whenever I'm starting a new project, I check back with your site to see how the professionals are doing it and comapre it with my designs so I'm alwys pushing them further. You've helped me a great deal when it comes to animatronics and it's now become my passion so thank you! (if you're ever in the UK, we're extending an invitation to you – Dominika