Vigilance Elite – Cerakote vs Spray Paint

bro-bro what are you doing man it’s tainting my gun it’s 2018 come on man we don’t do that anymore we got modern technology I leave that behind I’m not sure you come on hey what’s up guys sean ryan from vigilance elite here with don Bradley former Green Beret owner asil seracote nation we used to work together at the agency anyways we’re here to talk about kind of some of the differences between sarah coding your gun and then actually like spray-painting it so a lot of you guys probably saw you know the video me spray how to spray-paint or how to paint your gun or bow flush or whatever and now it’s 2018 so there’s better ways to do things kind of the reason we used to do that is you know and I’m sure the same with you done but you know we you’d show up to an area you want to blend in and you do a quick spray paint job you know with the surrounding environment now a downfall to that is it’s spray paint this shit comes off you know what I mean I just you can have to redo it you know so anyways I’m gonna kick it over to Don here and he is gonna talk about you know like what the pros are to seracote versus paint and you know why they started Sara coating and stuff but you know the bridge like I said originally all this painting and all this other kind of shit it originated from you know I need like function out you know there was an actual there was a there was a reason it wasn’t just oh I want the weathered look or oh I want to you know I want to look like that guy you know it’s there was a reason we did it and you know it’s a very good one so anyways so yeah it really it goes all the way back to when aerosol spray paint was invented I seen pictures of dudes in World War two using paint on guns because they were trying to blend like you said it’s camouflage and so guns look pretty obvious as guns and they just tried to break up that outline to try to hide because you’re at war and you don’t want to be seen the biggest thing that I noticed in the theaters that we worked in was when you go into the team rooms are like the SpecOps guys they were always spray-painting their guns in the guns that were spray-painted after they’ve been used for a few times everybody likes to do the battle-worn but trust me the battle-worn that you’re seeing these days is pretty it’s nice it’s a 16 it’s not what we saw what we saw were guns that were used in the sheets peeling off flaking off and it looks like you’re like oh god does that thing is that gonna fail you in a firefight is it gonna stop working because it looks bad yeah I mean there’s real battle horn there’s actually been war they actually shoot in battle well some people they do so obviously the the pros of it is paints everywhere there’s a ton of color so it’s easy to pattern like Sean said you just pick out the colors from your environment and you add them to your your gun with the you know maybe a friggin leaf or whatever to give you a little break up and like your video it works it really does but then it starts coming off yeah so the con is the preparation that’s done in getting ready to actually put it on is like nothing there still oil on most guns yeah I mean like I remember the first time you clean your gun after you paint it it looks like shit you know the oil start starts coming off and it gets kind of gummy and shit and that’s why I like I used to tape like I forgot to do it in that video but I take the trigger you know the grip so that I don’t get that gummy shit all over my hands and it just feels you know yeah that’s because it’s sitting on top of oils even though it might be a really really thin film that you can’t see it’s there and the paint’s not going to penetrate the oil it’s going to sit right on top of it but this right here I mean this 320 of mine that you just Sarah coated and I mean would you shut the piss out of the yesterday and you know it’s it’s heavily oil around it yeah you know it doesn’t face you know you know there’s no gummy feeling it’s not sticky you know like it’s not wearing off anywhere so I’m sure you know maybe it will laughter I’d come from the holster 20,000 times yeah just like gluing we’ll eventually you’re you’re gonna wear through this shit’s not indestructible folks I mean let’s be real let me the metal is wearing oh yeah the metal is literally wearing with it so it’s it’s fantastic it works way better it’s highly durable and the cool thing is they come up with over the last several years a lot of colors so you can get the colors from your environment the it’s not gonna peel like the paint does in the preparation that’s done prior to ceará coating make sure that they there’s no oil so it actually gets into the metals or the polymers whatever the case may be you can even do rubbers to an extent because this stuff’s really flexible so it’s made just for this the cons obviously costs more money than a couple of Kansas rattle cans of spray paint I mean you gotta send it to somebody so you’re gonna be without your gun for a little bit but the good news is they’re surf certified applicators who know what they’re doing that have been trained by the company surcoat so it’s put on the best possible way for the most longevity and you get great color this is a really really good example of things that you can do with seracote people are doing a lot of camouflage patterns cryptic is really big these days this is just two colors and some awesome lasering and look at it I mean that’s freaking that’s badass folks yeah oh is this for me it’s free calm thank you wow this is pretty sick man I like it I was going somewhere and I can’t I just had a brain fart so I’ll kick in real quick you can actually do Sarah coding yourself you can use your wife’s oven you know you still need a blasting cabinet because you’ve got to prep it properly you’ve still got a you know a lot of people think you can just wipe them off now you got to actually dunk them in something that’s going to remove those oils okay so that it’s ready and then the oven obviously is the cure for the last part they do have an air cure version you can use but the downside of that is you’ve got to buy a spray gun you got to have something to push you know I have a compressor an 80 gallon compressor I’ve got a paint booth that we’re sitting in so we do this stuff professionally for real you can do it yourself results may vary yeah so I if I have like an old shitty rusted up gun you don’t I mean that say got like I’ll tell you right now the rifle that I painted in that video I never shoot it it’s old school it’s like the almost the exact same thing I was using in the SEAL Teams and you know it’s just it’s the barrels rust and I didn’t take care of it very much and so that’s why I picked that gun for that video was like I never shooted a painting to make a video out of it so when I do decide to start shooting it again and it starts to look like shit you can sandblast all that shit off you can get the rust off and I mean you can basically restore it to it yeah the process basically restores the gun while you’re doing it and then it’s gonna end up looking as good as both of those this is cobalt right yes cobalt yeah when you get stop sign read on the other one and night-black yeah so all right I mean anything else no we love doing it again circle nation we can do one gun or a thousand pieces of whatever it is because we are set up for volume cool well as the individual custom shop so if you do have a gun that you spray painted and you’re actually going to shoot it and it starts looking like shit and you get tired of that gummy paint feeling that you’re gonna get when you’re shooting it then when you get tired of that paint job you can either paint over it again or you can ship it over here to Macon Georgia it’s sarah code nation and we’ll hook you up down I’ll hook it up and make it look brand spanking new so alright man well cool man thank you good being Lydia again it’s oh all right thanks everybody come see us check them out the circle nation all right at circle nation of vigilance elite bitch on round seven six two on all social media platforms and it actually

• Scott Saylors

I like how Ryan is a man of few words. I have more respect for people who say less

• Matthew Wiley

I want to know how u got ur rifles setup. Almost all ur rifles I see stuff strapped to the stock and what not. What tools are on ur guns. And why. Not just sights but little things that come in handy on the range or off. That's the video I'm looking for

• Pedro LEON

Thanks for this video!!! Atte: Pedro LEON

• Brandon D

Real operators dont have time for that shit. Damn Squids always have to be pretty somehow. Happy Birthday Navy. Stay beautiful! ; ]

• programmed wrong

"All this other kind of shit"…Hahaha! 😁

• Christopher Barger

We can meet in the middle with duracoat.
    Not as pricey as cerakote.
    Not as shitty as spray paint.
    And you can do it all by yourself.

snap your fingers

• Cozy Rules

U got me I found a guy that ceracoats by me getting my g20 10mm coated

• Cozy Rules

Shaun smoking grass? He has brain farts a lot or maijauna memory ?

• 1735mike

Both garbage period. I have every color in cerekote Glock and thy are junk. The paint job. Wears off after a few rounds. Spray paint is the way to go on rifles and handguns. Period. It takes two minutes to spray a rifle.

• Lovell Rodriguez

shawn sound s like a surfer dude respect the only easy day was yesterday; bravo zulu dude

• # Einstein MMA Tony E.

Time out I didnt know the attack was happening here . I have to send my rifle and pistol out to be professional painted .

• Corbin DeBenedittis

Macon huh? Do they accept walk ins or is it ship in only?

• gingerails

#yourwifesoven

• Matt Nicholson

I am cheap and poor so I rattle can with native foliage.

• Kristian Nelson

Great videos! How about one about your choice of optics/sights? Preferably for rifle as you’ve already mentioned it for pistols.

• JayJay Trescincosiete

Waiting for Cerakote to come out with the Bob Ross collection; Dark Sienna, Sap Green, Van Dyke Brown and a little Alizarin Crimson. No mistakes, just happy little camo for my AR15.

• Zac T

Sorry but I’m calling this a sales pitch. Yea krylon wears a little but it’s no where near as awful as you guys are making it sound. If you do a decent job prepping the gun for paint shit actually sticks for months if not years. Also don’t dunk the gun in clp and the paint will last a little longer.

• Sapper 101

Not to knock cerakote it's great but what I like about paint is I can just keep doing it until it looks right to me and after a while you have A LOT of layers and it starts looking pretty cool after so many applications

• History Book Reviews

I want to Cerakote my cock and balls so I can hide in the bush more easily.

• John Watson

Have used the ceracoat kits before, they work really well.

• Tim Johnston

Bad ass work CNation

• BOSS 350z

if you take the gun completely apart. Hit it with brake cleaner and use gloves, there is no oil on contaminants. also, the biggest mistake I see with paint is no one uses clear. 3m aerosol clear is automotive quality and very very hard. it's not cerakote, I'm not claiming that; but I have several rifles done with rattle can jobs, that have been through many courses and 3 gun comps. no flaking, no chipping. scratches and scuffs, definitely; but thats just natural wear. i have an spr that was inspired by 63 Cadillac. i hand polished the upper, lower and seekins hand guard to a mirror polish, then masked the parts I wanted to replicate the chrome. i used DuPont aerosol Ford galaxy blue and 3m clear coat. i wet sanded it and i wax it like a fucking car…lol it looks sick and the clear cost is rock hard. it took me weeks (stripping the ano, hand polishing, allowing costs to properly cure, wet sanding etc…); but it cost me 30 bucks in materials… i also have some that ate duracoated and a 10/22 i had cerakoted. yes the cerakote and duracoat is much harder; but once i got the bill for the cerakote job on the 10/22, i said let me try this on my own… anyway, i checked out some images of your work, looks awesome. just my POV…

• skutterk

Am I the only one who kept expecting Jay Kay from Jamiroquai to come out, and the floor to start moving, always enjoy watching VE vids, great vid gentlemen !

• Lost Water Adventures

I always thought "battle worn" was a hollywood concept

• maxi mcknifegun

Ryan I love you but you gotta take some public speaking lessons. Xoxoxo

• Carolina Outlaw

where in Macon,Georgia are yall? I'm in South Carolina and don't th ink anyone in these parts does that work.

• Andrew Ramos

I like my rifle black

• nonvisi79

Is the Magpul front buis backwards or is there something I don't know?

• smokey mtn

Yeah if you have 300 extra dollars for it. I'll stick with rattlecan

• D P

That cobalt color is fresh AF dude…what type of gun is that btw Sean??

• 4g63mark

The vibe I'm getting from this video is that they were actually in battle and everyone else is just a pussy ass poser….. As a Veteran who never saw battle, I won't buy ANYTHING from that arrogant guy from Vigilance Elite.

• Seth B

The words "plausibly deniable" and the black enamel painted CZ75s come to mind. You have to use foreign gear, so here is a CZ75, and it's been painted back, at the factory, and the paint is flaking off of it! LOL!!! Good guns for a 1970s commie gun.

• TS

When choosing colors, please avoid making your firearm look like a toy. Over the past 40 years cops and their advocacy groups have been begging toy gun makers to include bright colors so cops don't end up shooting teenagers with realistic looking toy guns. Now that people are painting real firearms with bright colors, bright colors don't help in the split-second decision making that can have life/death consequences. Camo's fine. Distressed is fine. Just please don't make it look like a damn toy.

• Scooter Lee1775

I'll cerakote one day. But I'm hardheaded and set in my ways.

• RāMBō

now its 2019 and im broke from buying gun parts so its back to the $5 rattlecan

• CR

Non chlorine brake cleaner to de-grease before spray painting 😁

• Joseph Matacavage

Sanding the gun before painting it might help.

• MrAlbie1970

I did one .22 rifle in spray , Wal mart has all the camo colors , BUT use clear afterwards BUt nothing comes close to cerakote , it takes the heat .

• MrAlbie1970

I ll take one in caution yellow

• MrAlbie1970

Time to get elevated . It's Saturday night!

• MrAlbie1970

Shawn I need/want a supressor for a ruger ar 5.56 but have no idea what to get ? Is anyone knowledgable about the subject and I m not sure if it's one of those things where big loot is the best way $1000 or $400? There doesn't seem to be much to a supressor to me to be honest.

• CatNanaa ClipZ

Good shit i want my m4 gold

• Montana Outdoors Wild Adventures

Good Review, Haven't Seen Many on This Topic🌲🔥👍

• Alucard

The people who want battleworn finish are the same GI Joes that go in the backyard with full fuckboy tactical gear on and shoot 10 rounds a session for youtube. If u actually go and shoot your gun like 1000 round sessions your gun will start to discolor from heat and actually start looking really battleworn. Enough of the make my gun look battleworn "paint" job fuckery already.

• wayne4386

Ok! So if I'm still traveling to different parts of the country or it happened to IDK SNOW where im at i think the red cerakote isn't gonna work! Thanks for the 2019 what civilians do

• Nick M.

Does Cerakote have the color of my mom's basement? I'm going with a chicken tendies camo.

• jim yeats

This is really a discussion about proper preparation rather than cerakote vs rattle can.

If you prep a gun correctly, rattle can it, put a matte clear coat on it and then do a quick mist of your paint again (do cut out that little sheen) that will last a long ass time.

• 7wt

My AR is painted to match my apartment.

• Ranger77

Shawn Ryan. 2 first names. what the fuck is up with that shit

• Anthony Kuriger

Rhino liner on the grip, foregrip and stock…

• Tactical Tacos

Why is the front MBUS backwards on the Kel Tec?

• Zoti Rruges

You mean there's real battle worn weapons… Like in war 😂 🤣 😂 Killin me dude

• Electron

How is this different that old parkerizing method? Does anybody still do parkerizing? Which is more durable Cerakote or Parkerizing?

• Hovington Kirst

ok cerakote sticks, spray don't.

• CalamityEnsues

"The shit comes off." Yeah but spray paint is cheap and if you fucked it up, don't like it, or move to a new area it's too easy to change.

• RPA Trucking and Survival

id rather spray paint because i can change the color anytime i want as environments change

• Sanction762

Alumahyde on my guns.

• James Michael

Understandable, but cerakote is expensive, especially for cool or tactical patterns, whereas krylon is a few bucks a can and can be done over a different color days or weeks later.

• Dave is just Saying

saw you in "The 25"

• American Freedom-Fighter

I use a lot of high temperature flat black ceramic engine paint on my builds. Seems to work alright.

• Joe Weiland

I think when the spray paint shit starts coming off the rifle just builds character and blinds in to the environment even more

• Southern Scythe

Having to change Cerakote colors to match your environments seems completely impractical. If you're trying to look cool to the guy in the mirror, Cerakote it.

• John Brown

What a lot of bullshit why payore than 2 bucks for a tin of paint when it comes of just repaint it.

• MikeCharlieAlpha

I still spray my rifles

• captain edwardo

I do believe the front sight is backwards on that keltec

• Just-in Case

Can you guys cerakote my wife’s dido? She wants a black finish 🤷🏼‍♂️

• John Brewer

I hope one of you flipped that front sight around… I cringed. In fact, Magpul polymers are trash anyway, just throw them away.

• 13R^D

How in the fuck can peeling spray paint cause your rifle to fail? It's impossible. Especially since you DO NOT paint the eternal parts.
    That guy is just trying to sell his product, even though we all know spray paint works just fine and is a lot cheaper. If your paint starts falling or peeling, spray the area again. Plus cerakote isn't camouflage. It just makes your gun one color, unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars for a pattern.

• Door Spook

I will never leave this channel, if only for the appropriate shits and fuck but definitely for the commentary on "battle worn finish", lol goddamn save me from the gun hipsters!

• William Buchanan

Cerakote a basic color ( flat and dark) then paint over it as needed … "Keep it Simple , Keep it Real"

• Rev. Gunn

Hell, I have a $82 Hi-Point C9 do you really think I’m going to spend money to cerakote that piece of shit? Soon it will be the University of Tennessee Orange!

• lexwaldez

First off, I want to thank you guys for serving so this old guy and his kid doesn't have to worry about it anymore.
    Second, I gotta either build something worthy of Cerakote Solutions or just buy a Mossberg and send it to him to get a rust proof truck gun. Cobalt looks sharp.
    I have one cerakote AR15 and I LOVE how easy it is to maintain. You just don't have to piss with it.

• tro jansky

Screw spray paint, I wallpaper my shit! Urban camouflage -> Starbucks and fat people wallpaper.

• tro jansky

I feel like he’s saying he really likes that red/black cerakote but in real life he’s probably like “what a gay looking piece of shit.”

• Platoon 2114

I used Cerakote on an old used rubber of mine and then reused it! Fucking Spec Ops pimp!!

• DavidSixSixFive

My 20 year old M4 when I was active was so battle worn, the anodizing was worn off all the high spots.

• YourBoyJPres

Its spray paint.. the shit comes off.. lol

• ianscott1000

I got balls deep in a 5th one night, and rattle canned my SBR. Moral of the story, I didn’t get herpes.

• mike gager

imagine going to battle with that red and black gun lol gonna wish you just used camo spray paint

• p c

"your wife's oven" as if men don't cook. smdh

• Josh Johnson

Had my Glock 23 done and it really wasn't that bad in terms of time/price. Local reputable dude took it, stippled, coated the slide with a nice deep dark blue and I think it took a week and 125 bucks for both services total. It's a range toy and a test and I really dig it.

• TheAmericanGuy

Yep I’m a home gamer 5 years later I’ve finally needed to cerakote again from holster wear and heavy drops to concrete plus it’s good like to said it’s like restoring your gun to factory clean replace any worn parts and keep slinging lead

• Mitchy Slik

I first read the video title as " coyote vs spray paint".

• RayGunz

My browning hi power is battle Worn!!! But not from f**** cerakote!

• pawpawtx

Spend time and money on training and quality equipment versus a wait'a minute piece of art. Flat rattle can to kill the shine. Just my opinion.

• libtards suck

Have you guy's have an opinion on the use of or ever use ,rust-oleum stone paint with matte clear ultra cover to seal it ,

• Nick 718

When spray paint starts fading and peeling it makes the gun look so much cooler

• DippinChris7

I think the front sight on the cmr is backwards but great job on the cerakotd keep up the great vids man

• CCL Canadiancountrylife

I use to rattle can now I rattle can dip all my gun parts individually leave and hang then clear coat them. So far so good

• NomadicSheep50

Guy from CN looks like James Hetfield

• AudioPhocus

Yeah, nowadays it's a fashion show with weapons.

• Jared Guest

Can man here

• jarin wilson

Gatorz sunglasses for anyone wondering.

• Rowdy Wood

The Con here is trying to get everybody to blow shit loads of of cash 💰 on something you don’t need~ most hunters I know will just stick with their cans of cammo paint 👍🏻

• Zane Hobbs

A family member of mine decided to let a “gunsmith” spray paint a handgun…to include the internals…don’t be that person folks. 🙄

• Matt P.

Cerakote is just the “new” spray paint.

• Eric da' MAJ

Sounds like a solid innovation for Soldiers and hunters. But as a civilian I want my gun to stand out in a confrontation if I have to present it in a self defense scenario. I don't want to shoot anyone who thinks I'm pointing a stick or a brick. I want them to have the opportunity see, understand, and to reconsider their life choices so they leave me the hell alone.

• Ken S.

Quick question…. how do I get that battle worn look???
    Asking for a friend.

• Your call is not important to us

Hessian bags and strips work ok but look a bit odd when shooting next to the old blokes at the range.

• Riley Nash

Use break parts cleaner, none-chlorinated and it will strip all the oil. Then tap well. Paint is just as good, more versatile and more accessible for travel/training/ and such