Web design & web development – What’s the difference? | CharliMarieTV

– Today I want to talk to you about the difference between web
design and web development. These are two separate roles in the website creation process. Some people do both of them together, but not everyone does, as they do involve a very different skill set for each, and there are many jobs available for both design and development separately as well as together. Essentially, if you
want the short version, web design involves
creating what the website should look like and how it should work, and web development involves
building that design and bringing it to life
as a functioning website. Let’s go into a little more
detail on each of those things. Designing a website
involves taking a brief and the information
that a client or company wants displayed on a
website, and working out the best structure for it. Web designers think a lot
about the user’s journey through the site, and
arrange the information in a way that means they
see the right content at the right time on their journey. And they also think a lot about making that information really easy to consume. That part of the design process
is called user experience, or UX as you may have
seen it referred to as, but designers are
obviously also responsible for the visual look and feel of the site. And that’s called the
user interface, or UI. What a website looks
like is really important because you have to make
sure that the design ties in with the company’s brand, and also that the
information is easy to read and consume, and it’s
just nice to look at. So just like with graphic
design, web designers think about typography, about color, positive-negative space, and other design principles like that. There are many different
pieces of software out there you could use to design a website, but none of them are going to
do the hard work for you. They’re all just tools
to get your ideas down and create a visual file or
mock-up to hand to a developer. And we call it a mock-up
because it visually looks like a website, but it doesn’t
function as one yet. Once the design is
completed, that’s generally when the development side starts, and like I said, this
involves taking that mock-up and bringing it to life through code so that it functions as a live website that you can put on the
internet for people to use. The base of a website
is created using HTML, which organizes the structure
of the site in code, and then CSS is used to style the HTML, that base structure, to
make it match the colors and shapes of the design
that the designer created. There are many different
programming languages and not every web developer
is going to know them all. They’ll generally have their own few that they specialize in, but HTML and CSS are the basics that you start with. Developers are responsible
not only for making sure that the site functions
properly and matches the design, but also that the code is written cleanly so it can load really
quickly for the user. And usually developers
will use a text editor like Sublime or Brackets to
write and edit their code. Hopefully from that
explanation you can see what I mean about this being
two different skill sets. Designers need more of an understanding of design principles and creativity to come up with the layout that is unique and answers the client’s brief, and developers focus more
on logic-based thinking and an understanding of how
code and technology works. Like I said at the start,
there are some people who do have both of these skills, but it’s not essential to know the development side to be a web designer, or to know the design side
to be a web developer. What is important though is having a basic understanding
of both of those things. I’m a web designer, and I do have a good basic understanding of code, so that I can actually code my websites,
but I don’t focus on that as a career because I much
prefer the design side, and that’s where I’m best at. However, having a basic understanding of how the website I’m
designing is going to be coded is really useful to my design process, and I always love it when I work with a developer who has a good
understanding of design, too, because it means that it’s
much easier to work together. So, if you were confused
about the difference between these two roles,
or perhaps you’re trying to decide which one would be best for you, I hope this video helped you out. Make sure you give it a
thumb’s up if you did, and if you’re new around here, hello, welcome, my name is Charli, and I make videos about
design every single Saturday, so hit subscribe if you’d
like to see more from me, and I will see next time. Bye.

• Ahmed Hussein

So Innocent ^^

• Tonni Islam

to be a successful web designer how much coding do you think one should know? Is it necessary to be able to code?

• Unleashed Design

This is basicly true, but i can say when you can code JavaScript, NoteJS or PHP you can earn 60 to 80% more money 😉 so lern to code and its a lot fun when you can explain as a web designer to a developer how you think this should be coded

sry for my bad englisch 🙂

• John Smith

Yup.. I have to watch the video for the second time cause i've lost focus when i saw you 😀 Thank you for providing great content 😉

• Azor Multigaming

im spanish, i understand almost everything youre talking about in english but you speak too quicky :V

• Krunal Dave

Too much usefull For me thank u sooo muchhh charli…

• Leo Aquino

gorgeous 😀 you're like a HTML with CSS
    .Charli {
    skin-color:#fff;
    hair-color: -webkit-linear-gradient(-45deg, rgba(255,0,132,1) 0%, rgba(199,0,103,1) 22%, rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);
    }

• elfoxy

Do you need a degree to work in web design/dev?

• Kwisatsoundman

Hi Charli, thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. I just watched three of your videos about your design workflow and i love them all! Just wanted to say that html is a markup language and css is a formatting language, but none of these are "programming" languages, because they don't integrate things like variables, functions, conditional statements, loops, etc., (although some programs like css preprocessors can temporarily bring some of these features to css in order to provide a more enjoyable experience when manipulating your styles). I thought it would be useful to stress, since many web developers become very "touchy" about terminology nowadays, which can be a real pain when they happen to be your teamates… lol

• chinjeezy

This is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank you <3

• Mr Cartoonster

THANK YOU for mentioning brackets!!! It's now the only text editor I use when I code in HTML/CSS/JS. It's such an intuitive editor that was built specifically for web design. As in it was coded using only HTML/CSS and JS. I knew I subscribed to this channel for a reason. You're freaking awesome and your content is really helping me become a better web developer and giving me an eye for design!

• Emille Henry

I do them both. Took me a while to really understand design. Things like ui/ux. I think they go hand in hand so it's great to know a bit of both.

• Cicos Macos

So happy to found your channel,it is excellent!!!:)))

• Ash Ome

Hey ! I am a professional Frontend developer and I want to learn design, I have had some courses on design but I am finding a guide to be designer. My question is how I can learn design ?

• Khan Armaan

Mam I want to become web developer & designer but I don't know coading & I also want to become an expert programmer .. mam please suggest me
    Thankyou

• غيداء عبد الجليل

This comment is edited because Charli is angry at it and she thinks I'm judging her. I apologize, I didn't mean that!
    — Original comment: I didn't expect you to be a web designer from your makeup.

• soakedbootcuts

So if you're a graphic designer, what extense of knowledge should you have in development so you can carry out your own web designs? Like, how much of an expert do you need to be to make modern and interactive, mobile-adaptable sites?

• samirasview

THANK YOU!

• AdventuresAmongAdjectives

This is really interesting to hear about! Where I come from (sweden) you don't really get that distinction I think. I'm still fairly new to the industry, but what I've seen so far it's kind of expected that you should be able to do both. Maybe the really big agencies have the different roles, but where I work, and especially if you're a freelancer, you kind of need to do both.

A bit late to the party I know, but only recently found your channels and find so many of your videos really interesting!

• Zreddx

But what about GUI

• Friendifie, Inc.

Her and Mackenzie Child; it's like all they do is brag about it. Where's the freaking coding? 🤷‍♀️

• David cameron

In which things should I focus more to shine in this field?

• Xiang Xing

Should web designer deliver a functioning website at the end? Or just need to deliver a psd file?

• Adityaraj Singh

Thanks from so many days I wanted to know difference regarding my startup

• Scott Hutcheson

Love the Kiwi accent

• Sakthi Vel

Too many people have the same content but i have noticed that you look beautiful and watched your video fully!! Really helpful

• Swippe ッ

Instant sub

• Diatumua Simao Didy

I love your easy explanation…. keep doing it!

• Zakarya ISSER

You're awesome

• Rahim

It's 2018 if you call yourself a web designer and don't know the HTML, CSS and some basic JS, then I don't know the kind of web designer you are. If you are a freelancer you can call yourself whatever you want and hope to make some money freelancing but if you are looking for a job in web design today you better learn the three skills mentioned above. They are really not hard to learn, anyone can do it.Just google web designer

• Jay McD

This has really been a frustrating issue for me (and I'm guessing many others) so much so its kept me on the fence from trying to start a career. I went to college to train to be a graphic designer, but lets just say the college was ill prepared for what was around the corner in how much the web was going to take off and the advent of drag and drop site builders like Weebly. Over the past year or two I really pushed myself in learning HTML, CSS and JS thinking it was a must to get any sort of a chance of a career as a designer, as again my understanding has come about that graphic designers must be web designers nowadays and no longer traditional print designers. I've tried hard as I said but the break neck speed of web technologies, apps and such has honestly left me feeling burned out! I just want to f*cking design not become a walking swiss army knife to bend over backwards for ill informed clients of what a web designer is.

• Bilawal Ali

You are very beautiful..

• HU__ESCOBAR__OFFICIAL

You are so much beautiful just I subscribe you are Channel baby❤❤❤❤❤

• shaik Shaukat

hii frnd tell in hindi

• topsilog

Im having a probpem being a designer learning how to code i always want to see the results of what im coding quickly esp css thus making me write bad codes….

• 3polygons

I think we web designers have been already misplaced, (quite savagely, as comic authors we were in the 90s, and nicely recalled later when most were having some other stable boring job to be able to eat, already) – 2018 now, vid is from 2016, 2 years in this is a too long period- by web coders, by "developers". Not actually "by them", is what the trends, 'powers that be', and in a way, technology have assigned to us. (a nice kick in the back part xD )

I'd even say more: by FULL STACK developers. At some point, if not already, I believe front end people, we are to be pushed out by full stack developers (backend+front end, and starting to see "valuable if the candidate handles Photoshop and most of the CC suite" . So… guess what'll be next profile melting thingy? ;D )

Some might try to resist it, but is such a real fact. I'm of the old "skool" : PSD design as an entire thing, code comes later in the design stage, u design "thinking in code" (to deal well with the medium) , but design is the king. So , CSS , XHTML, even started when there was no css, little JS if any, back in '96. One now, IMO, can go with the UX/UI trend, as a professional profile, is surely the cleverest thing to do (best if you are a "people person" able to sell your thing), or if hate UX – my case- just embrace the roughness of coding till the deepest complexities, needing to learn lots of languages, frameworks, libraries, etc, etc, etc. Lol. I started doing so years ago, now in the firm process of getting quite hardcore at it…

UX seems a more logical (IMO, easier, in certain way, not being the most important factor for it that you have already 50% of the profile if are a graphic designer and/or illustrator) path for most designers, tho. But too much guessing of the company industrial secrets and internals that they never tell you/share with u (so, dealing with ROI, A/B testing, company income paths, company focus in money/business at a given moment, and tons of other stuff, quite a contradiction. IMO this is a task more related to a marketting and/or strategy department. But that's a rant I seem to shout about alone in the desert…), marketing stuff, often doing more behavior/psicology/financial study than my passion for other things (like actually doing sth, WHATEVER graphic, lol) tolerates.

This for people wanting to work at companies. As a freelancer, you can do whatever you love more and in the way you freaking desire. You indeed should specialize in any niche if you love it, and think are specially good at it, as then it's good business and you'll be happier. I realized (very recently… it was going well…. :S ) I personally (each person is a separate case) can't fully live as freelancer anymore, even if means some nice income… for me will probably get back to be a side job….

• trurtle

do u like purple

• Rodrigo Cantini

Awesome.

• Yash Marmat

Can you please lover your speed it's little hard to catch up with you😅

• Khalid Oghli

Hi Charli .. Please about web Design what exactly need to learn to be pro .i know Ps,Ai and html css js jq bootstrap and other. What should i learn or do to be like you .please !!!

• Diego Borromeo

I really like youre hair and i just wanted to say that i like youre cooking videos more and that you should post them

• faisal shahzad

beauty with brain ❤

• Jaime Gutierrez

Hi Charli! Thank you for the explanation between designers and developers. I now understand that there is overlap between the two fields, however, it sounds like there is more creativity involved on the design side and more logic involved on the dev side. Is that right? If I may, I wanted to ask if your education is in UX/UI? Or is your training more specific to web design? I'm considering getting into web design because I've always been into graphic design. I just don't know how to monetize my passion. Anyway, any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you and may 2019 bring you many more blessings!

• Johnny Dean